HF Tig welder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im probably going to regret asking this here but what is everyone thoughts on getting an inexpensive AC/DC TIG welder from Harbor Freight? I'm needing to repair an aluminum chair (busted weld). I could possibly braze it but would damage more of the finish than I'd probably like. I could pick up a spool gun for my Miller 180 but those bums want almost $500 for one. A Syncrowave would be great but I'm just not sure I'd use it enough to warrant the price tag especially right now when money is flying out the door to build this shop I have going on.

Another option is to just find someone to fix it

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one of their basic Flux Core welders and was a very light user of it and it would only work in "high" heat.

It's easy to spend other peoples money, but I'd vote spool gun for the Miller 180. Once you get over the price, I'm thinking you'd never actually regret quality added capability.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im probably going to regret asking this here but what is everyone thoughts on getting an inexpensive AC/DC TIG welder from Harbor Freight? I'm needing to repair an aluminum chair (busted weld). I could possibly braze it but would damage more of the finish than I'd probably like. I could pick up a spool gun for my Miller 180 but those bums want almost $500 for one. A Syncrowave would be great but I'm just not sure I'd use it enough to warrant the price tag especially right now when money is flying out the door to build this shop I have going on.

Another option is to just find someone to fix it
My son welds aluminum, among other things

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
find someone to do it. Not worth the coin if it's a one time thing.
it would definitely get used just no every day. Same as my mig. I probably use it once or more a month but could not see myself not owning one. Its in my nature to tinker and fabricate.

I'll call or go by Airgas tomorrow and see if they have any promotions going on. Maybe still have someone repair the chair. when I do get a tig ill focus on building up my skill b4 I actually try to do anything important.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
it would definitely get used just no every day. Same as my mig. I probably use it once or more a month but could not see myself not owning one. Its in my nature to tinker and fabricate.

I'll call or go by Airgas tomorrow and see if they have any promotions going on. Maybe still have someone repair the chair. when I do get a tig ill focus on building up my skill b4 I actually try to do anything important.
If you're like me, you won't settle for anything less than the best. Hi freq is the way to go, with a water cooled torch. I owned one once, it was fabulous. Wish I'd never sold it.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even if you can tig weld aluminum ,I'd hire it out. It wouldn't be worth cost of buying a machine that you wouldn't use very often. The newer square wave high frequency machines are the way to go on aluminum.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom