HF Tig welder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it aluminum or magnesium.
My non super scientific approach says aluminum.

A really strong magnet does not stick to it at all

I “feel” that if it was magnesium it should be lighter

if you swipe the magnet across the arm you can defiantly feel the eddy currents offering resistance.

I could file off some and see how it reacts to a torch

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im probably going to regret asking this here but what is everyone thoughts on getting an inexpensive AC/DC TIG welder from Harbor Freight? I'm needing to repair an aluminum chair (busted weld). I could possibly braze it but would damage more of the finish than I'd probably like. I could pick up a spool gun for my Miller 180 but those bums want almost $500 for one. A Syncrowave would be great but I'm just not sure I'd use it enough to warrant the price tag especially right now when money is flying out the door to build this shop I have going on.

Another option is to just find someone to fix it
Get a decent one. A good one can be had for less than a grand. As for using it, you'll discover needs for it you never imagined. It'll eventually pay for itself.

Woody

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a decent one. A good one can be had for less than a grand. As for using it, you'll discover needs for it you never imagined. It'll eventually pay for itself.

Woody
True a good tig machine you can do just about any type of welding from thin metal to thicker stuff depending on the machine a tig welder can fix just about anything that breaks or something you want to make if you don’t like the weld looks wash back over it without wire and your good to go

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My current thinking is to get a Miller syncrowave 210. I’m just not going to do it until this shop is done

I’ll either braze the darn thing or find someone to tig it for me

Latest posts

Top Bottom