Hi Point 45 ACP.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While pondering a new M1911 the little light in my head finally came on......who needs to spend the big bucks for a Les Baer, STI, Wilson, DW, or Ed Brown for well over $1000.00 when these are available for around $150.00 + tax. :)

They ain't very pretty, they weigh a ton and I have no desire to buy one but I've got a buddy that purchased a Hi Point a few years ago and I'd be willing to bet that between the two of us we've probably ran close to 1800 rounds through it (all mixed mfg factory jacketed) and we've not experienced one FTF or FTE plus out to 25 yds. they are pretty darn accurate......wonder why they can't or won't make them lighter ?

I heard a rumor (unconfirmed) that our buddy Lasher has several Hi Points socked away for a rainy day. :)

300px-Hi-Point_Model_JHP_.45_ACP.jpg

Last edited:

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had several Hi Points of every caliber over the years. Got them mostly as trade fodder, but I have never experienced any problems with any of them. Shot some of the crappiest ammo imaginable through them. Not FTE, FTF or mag issues.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All you need is one big shot movie star to use one in a blockbuster action film, and the value will go through the roof. LOL!

shot many a bag of dried pinto beans and unpopped corn whilst attacking Mizzus Crockett's front porch, which was huge with thick walls and easily defended. ballistics on the corn were awful, always shot around corners. the beans were more accurate

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 of the 45 Hi Point hand guns and a 40 which I have not shot yet.
The 2 45's I have shot with one in each hand, pull triggers and see how fast you can empty them.. can't hit worth a darn but
is a lot of fun.
The 45's are very accurate and I actually took one into the deer woods opening day deer gun season one year.
less than an hour later and 1 shot from 45 paces lays a dead dear.

Yea they are tanks but I have never owned or shot anything else in a semi auto hand gun so I was not familiar with size or weight.
I like them just fine.
I shoot Lee 200gr lead from mine most of the time but have shot 300XTP bullets from them also.
I have also shot a lee 255gr RF flat nose that works very well if seated deep enough.
It hammers bowling pins.
One thing i do not care for in them is the bore size. My 45's slugged in at .4535"
But the chamber is not large enough to make a bullet that large and chamber it while it is in a case.
So I use soft lead so it will obturate quickly ..Not real soft mind you but a mix of 50/50 pure lead and wheel weights.

And can't send them super fast without tumbling.
When the bullet skids through the barrel without hooking into the rifling grooves it will leave the barrel tumbling.
But I tested on paper at 30 feet the accuracy of tumbling bullets using the short 200gr lee lead bullet which is almost as long as it is wide.
Accuracy was good. In fact one magazine full vs a magazine full of regular loads that did not tumble was actually better.
Mixed cases were used.
When I use mixed cases accuracy suffers a little bit.
That's all I have for ya on the 45 Hi Point pistol. More than you probably wanted to know.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stated in the past, my now deceased FIL, had a 9mm Hi Point and a .380. Never had any FTE or FTF issues with them. I have never owned one, but have shot his. Some people don't want to spend a lot of money on a pistol for whatever reason. The are heavy and not pretty. Watch you tube vids on their torture tests. Hell of a value...:coffee2::anyone::grumble:

Last edited:

RVCooper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one for several years. Shot any ammo that was handy through it and never had a hiccup with it. Can't say that about much else I've owned. It was big, heavy, ugly and crappy looking from every angle. I needed a hammer and punch to "field strip" it so I finally just quit cleaning it. Still continued to function fine. I sold it for about what I paid new after probably 1k + rounds through it. I always thought they should include one free when you bought a case of ammo. Great fun and oddly satisfying. Kind of like a girlfriend you wouldn't want to introduce to mom.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Hi Point .45 for a while, and never had any trouble with it. I fed it a variety of ammo, and do not remember a single FTF, FTE, etc. I, too, sold it for what I had in it ... maybe a few dollars more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom