Hi-Point, I'd never own one but this video was interesting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Had loaned my daughter one of my pistols until she could buy what she wanted, it set in her room collecting dust for a year. Bought her the hipoint 380 for $70 and loaded her some sd ammo, checked operation and reliability, very sound pistol with very little recoil. So now she has a pistol to set by the bed and collect dust that does not drive me nuts LOL

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a .45 new several years ago to take camping. Put a lot of rounds through that beauty and sold it almost for what i had in it.
Man it was ugly. And huge. And ungainly. I had to use a hammer and punch to get it far enough apart to clean just the basics. Finally ended up just shooting it and chunking it back in the bag til next time. Probably well over 1500 rounds thru it and never a failure to function. Never.
Does anybody else get a kick out of the fact that there are endless videos of guys trying to tear these things up? Its like an obsession
of some sort. Very entertaining. I want to see those guys put their new 1911 or Glock on the pavement and run over it with a dually for the hell of it. then we'd have something to talk about.
Anyway, I owned a High-point and it gave me tons of fun for my entertainment dollar. But I'm not looking for another one.
So what you are [sort of] saying is that Hi-Point's are the American made equivalents to Kalashnikov's in that they are almost abuse proof?

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When My wife and I got our handgun licenses back in 2011 there was a woman that had a brand new hi point .380 that she was using. The pistol malfunctioned on every shot. The instructor came over and messed with it even adding some oil to it. The same thing happened to it after he messed with it. She had at least 10-12 malfunctions during her 50 rounds. Not something I would ever waste money on. There are pistols out there that aren't that much more that are twice as good. I can't even believe these ugly things are still able to be sold. I guess if it fails to shoot you could throw it at the bad guy and the weight of the gun would probably kill them.

Judi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When My wife and I got our handgun licenses back in 2011 there was a woman that had a brand new hi point .380 that she was using. The pistol malfunctioned on every shot. The instructor came over and messed with it even adding some oil to it. The same thing happened to it after he messed with it. She had at least 10-12 malfunctions during her 50 rounds. Not something I would ever waste money on. There are pistols out there that aren't that much more that are twice as good. I can't even believe these ugly things are still able to be sold. I guess if it fails to shoot you could throw it at the bad guy and the weight of the gun would probably kill them.

Ammo....might have had reloads,...gun shop range type...or a bad batch of ammo. I used every type of ammo in mine, must shot well over 2,000 round now. not one hipup ....(.45)....once last year used some reloads wad cutters, after first magazine I gave the box away.

I have three shooters that I shoot for shits all in .45 cal. They never failed me, used it for a CCW in IL. figured if I shoot someone, lose the high point and not my colt commander ...;)

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had 2 pistols and 5 carbines and never had a malfuction with any of them but one and it wasnt the gun but the mag when you put the 10th round in they all flew out of the mag, mic'ed the lips and found they was out of spec and tweeked them and it worked fine after that. But like anything that is man made you will find some problems from time to time with anything, I have had higher end guns that never worked from day one and after several trips back to manufactor they still wouldnt work so it dont matter what the dollar value is on something there will be some problems from time to time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate it when people say they go bang every time cause I've seen a bunch of them that didn't go bang twice in a row let alone every time
Let me rephrase that by saying the one I put about 500 rounds through went bang every time.
There could be ammo issues affecting the others, operator issues, or a plethora of other possible issues I suppose.
I'd never own one, but the one I did shoot was just fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom