Hickok45--How NOT to Load an M1 Garand!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to say the op rod spring probably had been cut in half for the demonstration, but seeing the number done on that pencil, maybe not!

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recall some in my platoon "developing" an M1 thumb as they learned the manual of arms (...."pooort hharrrms"......wham).

I liked the M1 because it is a good, solid, deadly serious and very manly weapon (and we had a lot of spare parts for them).

It's a helluva weapon even unloaded.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got mine not with my thumb, but my trigger finger. That particular rifle had been sticking, requiring a tap on the back of the charging handle every time I reloaded. No worries.

I noticed some grass down in the magazine and stuck my finger in to remove it. As soon as my finger touched (and I mean barely grazed) the follower, wham! @@#$%%@%*#$!

Spent the rest of the day shooting with my middle finger, and never forgot the lesson. And I still love Garands.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hickok needs to do his homework. Garand thumb cannot occur when inserting a loaded en bloc...if it does, you're doing something very wrong.

Last edited:

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, it is possible to do. But, you're right, you have to do it very wrong. Hickock's example is much like Dave's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom