High Capacity + Small footprint/weight is reality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Things have really changed in the CCW world with the new options lately....case in point; it's amazing that I can carry (AIWB) with 16 rounds of SD 9mm including holster weight at UNDER 25 ounces.

With some slide milling it's very possible to knock another .75-1 ounce off.

With future advances (possible improvements in metallurgy) we could see something at this capacity approach 1 pound...

Attachments

• A675E288-A432-4F93-B431-90208A18D4B2.jpeg
    A675E288-A432-4F93-B431-90208A18D4B2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Things have really changed in the CCW world with the new options lately....case in point; it's amazing that I can carry (AIWB) with 16 rounds of SD 9mm including holster weight at UNDER 25 ounces.

With some slide milling it's very possible to knock another .75-1 ounce off.

With future advances (possible improvements in metallurgy) we could see something at this capacity approach 1 pound...
Now if glock would just make an OEM mag that increased capacity even a little instead of having to go aftermarket for that.

What holder and does it wear the polymer or does it use felt?

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now if glock would just make an OEM mag that increased capacity even a little instead of having to go aftermarket for that.

What holder and does it wear the polymer or does it use felt?

I feel quite comfortable with the Shield Gen 2 mags so I have no issue there...

The MFT holster is kydex. It has no felt - the last thing I'm worried about is "wearing" the plastic so its perfect for me...and it is LIGHT.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I did the shield mag carry for awhile then one day I thought I’d try out the factory mag and man the 5 less rounds carried so nicely I got rid of my shield mag for good. If I can’t get the job done in 11 and with a spare 10round mag then I don’t need to carry.
Same here. I like the smaller Sig P365 though in a Keepers Errand holster. I’ve carried a Kahr PM9 and Glock 43 before and the smaller capacity was never a concern. The odds of most of us ever needing more than a few rounds is very small.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did the shield mag carry for awhile then one day I thought I’d try out the factory mag and man the 5 less rounds carried so nicely I got rid of my shield mag for good. If I can’t get the job done in 11 and with a spare 10round mag then I don’t need to carry.

More power to you, but I don't understand the "if you can't get job done in 11" and then carry around another 10 stick. That seems way more trouble to carry than just pistol with 16 in the first place.

Also, how did factory carry "so nicely"? The only difference for carry is that factory mag is heavier than the SA15 and carries less rounds...otherwise, there is no way to tell which magazine is even in the firearm.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More power to you, but I don't understand the "if you can't get job done in 11" and then carry around another 10 stick. That seems way more trouble to carry than just pistol with 16 in the first place.

Also, how did factory carry "so nicely"? The only difference for carry is that factory mag is heavier than the SA15 and carries less rounds...otherwise, there is no way to tell which magazine is even in the firearm.

What does the stock mag with 10 rounds weigh vs the SA15 with 15?

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Good idea to carry a 2nd mag in case of a malfunction clearance needed. Can any of you guys find an actual civilian self defense encounter that required more than 10 rounds? This discussion came up on another forum a while back about carrying a snub with only 5 rounds. I think the tendency on gun forums is for people to be more tacticool and imagine themselves to need more rounds and larger guns. I had a 48 for a while with the Shield mags. To me it seemed to make the gun too heavy and lean in the holster. I think to compare the stock mag with 10 rounds versus the Shield with 15.

Latest posts

Top Bottom