High Capacity + Small footprint/weight is reality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good idea to carry a 2nd mag in case of a malfunction clearance needed. Can any of you guys find an actual civilian self defense encounter that required more than 10 rounds? This discussion came up on another forum a while back about carrying a snub with only 5 rounds. I think the tendency on gun forums is for people to be more tacticool and imagine themselves to need more rounds and larger guns. I had a 48 for a while with the Shield mags. To me it seemed to make the gun too heavy and lean in the holster. I think to compare the stock mag with 10 rounds versus the Shield with 15.
Agree 100% a g43x w a stock mag is perfectly balanced and not too heavy

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a 48 on occasion with factory mag because with the Shield Arms conversion every time I fired it the mag would drop free. Yes I contacted Shield and was told it sometimes happens and offered no solution. Factory for me.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I carry a 48 on occasion with factory mag because with the Shield Arms conversion every time I fired it the mag would drop free. Yes I contacted Shield and was told it sometimes happens and offered no solution. Factory for me.

That would be scary. I never had an issue with a shield mag but I felt a lot more comfortable with the small weight savings and the fact I was carrying an OEM magazine.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good idea to carry a 2nd mag in case of a malfunction clearance needed. Can any of you guys find an actual civilian self defense encounter that required more than 10 rounds? This discussion came up on another forum a while back about carrying a snub with only 5 rounds. I think the tendency on gun forums is for people to be more tacticool and imagine themselves to need more rounds and larger guns. I had a 48 for a while with the Shield mags. To me it seemed to make the gun too heavy and lean in the holster. I think to compare the stock mag with 10 rounds versus the Shield with 15.

Not civilian shootings, unless you count police as civilians, but there are numerous police incidents where a 15 round mag did not resolve the problem. So, I don’t understand limiting one’s self, especially when it’s common place to have two or more perps.

Last edited:

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Not civilian shootings, unless you count police as civilians, but they are numerous police incidents where a 15 round mag did not resolve the problem. So, I don’t understand limiting one’s self, especially when it’s common place to have two or more perps.
I understand for a cop. There’s a difference between limiting oneself and being realistic to the weight, size, etc of a handgun. I try to stay away from trouble and bad places. Still looking for when more than 10 was used by just a civilian concealed carrier. There’s always a chance of course but not likely. I do carry more if on a road trip or going somewhere a little dicey but for everyday carry it’s either a small semi auto with 11 or maybe even a snub with 5.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand for a cop. There’s a difference between limiting oneself and being realistic to the weight, size, etc of a handgun. I try to stay away from trouble and bad places. Still looking for when more than 10 was used by just a civilian concealed carrier. There’s always a chance of course but not likely. I do carry more if on a road trip or going somewhere a little dicey but for everyday carry it’s either a small semi auto with 11 or maybe even a snub with 5.

I, too, try to avoid bad places at bad times where bad people may be. I’m sure there are cases where CHL holders utilized more than 10 rounds, but I’m too lazy to go looking right now and have to start being productive with the day.

Well, simply in this day and time, why would one carry a 5 shot when you can carry 15 for nearly the same size & weight? Pocket coat carry to shoot without drawing?

I’m still not sure I’ve ever heard anyone survive a gunfight and wish that they had LESS ammo. Mags fail. Bullets fail. Multiple attackers. Most shooters miss a high % of shots. More ammo > less ammo. IMO.

But, hey, you do what you feel is best for you and I will do what I feel is best for my family. Ain’t America great? Cheers and thank you for YOUR service.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
@p
I did the shield mag carry for awhile then one day I thought I’d try out the factory mag and man the 5 less rounds carried so nicely I got rid of my shield mag for good. If I can’t get the job done in 11 and with a spare 10round mag then I don’t need to carry.
any other input? I'm trying to win.
fuddbingo.jpg

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did the shield mag carry for awhile then one day I thought I’d try out the factory mag and man the 5 less rounds carried so nicely I got rid of my shield mag for good. If I can’t get the job done in 11 and with a spare 10round mag then I don’t need to carry.

I remember way back in the 70's when officers carried revolvers and said the same thing. Six rounds in the pistol and twelve on the belt. I always wondered. What are they going to do when they run out? Run? Give up and hope they don't get shot themselves? I'd rather have too much than not enough.

My how times have changed! Recently, I saw an officer with a Glock 17 in the holster with three extra mags on his belt. Add to that the two 30 round AR mags on his vest.

18 rounds then and 69 now just for the pistol. It could have been more if he had the + extensions on the mags.

Latest posts

Top Bottom