High Capacity + Small footprint/weight is reality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I, too, try to avoid bad places at bad times where bad people may be. I’m sure there are cases where CHL holders utilized more than 10 rounds, but I’m too lazy to go looking right now and have to start being productive with the day.

Well, simply in this day and time, why would one carry a 5 shot when you can carry 15 for nearly the same size & weight? Pocket coat carry to shoot without drawing?

I’m still not sure I’ve ever heard anyone survive a gunfight and wish that they had LESS ammo. Mags fail. Bullets fail. Multiple attackers. Most shooters miss a high % of shots. More ammo > less ammo. IMO.

But, hey, you do what you feel is best for you and I will do what I feel is best for my family. Ain’t America great? Cheers and thank you for YOUR service.
Choices are great. My 340 M&P snub fits in a pocket and can be shot thru a jacket pocket if needed. I’ve yet to see any pistol with 15 rounds even close to its weight. I think it’s more likely to be carried when the larger gun is left at home. If a person is dedicated to carrying a gun all the time with higher capacity and it works for them that’s the best choice for them. I’ve searched for a civilian shooting when more than 10 rounds is needed and haven’t found one yet. The mall shooting a while back where the bad guy was stopped I think had 10 rounds fired at him. There may be others.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I remember way back in the 70's when officers carried revolvers and said the same thing. Six rounds in the pistol and twelve on the belt. I always wondered. What are they going to do when they run out? Run? Give up and hope they don't get shot themselves? I'd rather have too much than not enough.

My how times have changed! Recently, I saw an officer with a Glock 17 in the holster with three extra mags on his belt. Add to that the two 30 round AR mags on his vest.

18 rounds then and 69 now just for the pistol. It could have been more if he had the + extensions on the mags.
More cops have more pain from carrying too much stuff than they do bullet wounds. At least now some are using a vest to balance the load. I bet that guy’s trunk had more guns and ammo. I can see the necessity of a lot of ammo and extra guns for cops. The 70’s cops probably had a j frame on the ankle too.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Choices are great. My 340 M&P snub fits in a pocket and can be shot thru a jacket pocket if needed. I’ve yet to see any pistol with 15 rounds even close to its weight. I think it’s more likely to be carried when the larger gun is left at home. If a person is dedicated to carrying a gun all the time with higher capacity and it works for them that’s the best choice for them. I’ve searched for a civilian shooting when more than 10 rounds is needed and haven’t found one yet. The mall shooting a while back where the bad guy was stopped I think had 10 rounds fired at him. There may be others.

The P365 is a bit smaller than the 340, of course the 340 is lighter, but the P365 will perform better. Especially if you have magnum loads in the 340, which are kind of moot in a barrel that short but that's just me.

In terms of single vs multiple attackers there's plenty of scenarios to go around.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The P365 is a bit smaller than the 340, of course the 340 is lighter, but the P365 will perform better. Especially if you have magnum loads in the 340, which are kind of moot in a barrel that short but that's just me.

In terms of single vs multiple attackers there's plenty of scenarios to go around.
I’ve got a P365 that I carry AIWB most of the time. 10+1 although 12 and 15 round mags are available for it. The Gold Dot 135 Gr Short Barrel JHP is a pretty good performer in both .357 and .38. We could go on all day about what is best but the bottom line is we all have choices. I’m sure I’ll be condemned to eternal tacticool hell if I mention I sometimes carry a 22 in my pocket. Some day I may wish I had more ammo or a larger caliber but a chance we take when we decide what to carry.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did the shield mag carry for awhile then one day I thought I’d try out the factory mag and man the 5 less rounds carried so nicely I got rid of my shield mag for good. If I can’t get the job done in 11 and with a spare 10round mag then I don’t need to carry.

THIS!

Hell, off duty, I tote a S&W J frame and a 5 round speed strip and never feel outgunned. Of course, I don't live in a sh!tty neighborhood, I don't go to questionable places, nor do I hang out with shady people.

As always, YMMV.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With all due respect boys, the "I don't go to shady places" line just doesn't mean anything in today's world. People are getting shot in retail spaces and grocery stores too. Carry what makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, but trouble is finding people in random places.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not more than 10 needed? From working in an ER I have seen a person who took six .38's to the abdomen, busted down a couple's (the husband shot through the door at him) the door was an antique door, very heavy. Upon entering the criminal beat them both with the revolver so they ended up in the hospital, barely able to call 911. The criminal walked 3 blocks in 20 degree weather and collapsed on another homeowner's porch. After a hospital stay and coma the criminal woke up, pulled the tubes out of him and walked out of the hospital.

Home invasions are usually more that one person. How about being confronted in the parking lot by four men? Got someone amped up on PCP? More than one round may be necessary.

This cop only faced 1 person:

After seeing and hearing many of these stories I think as many rounds as you can carry/conceal effectively makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom