HK guru's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisWilson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any HK guru's on here??? I've got a PTR 91 with a small problem, I've posted on the HK web sites and a couple of others and got some suggestions but what I really need is someone that knows what they are doing to take a look at it. It fires fine, problem is when the bolt rides forward on an empty chamber you cant open it with the charging handle, it has to me mortared to get it to open back up. I'm tempted to order a new charging handle for it as it seems like that one on it just isn't giving enough leverage when the handle is pulled open. If you know anyone who is good with HK rifles let me know, preferably in the OKC or Lawton area. Thanks

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I build them. I agree with cjjtulsa. Sounds like you have no leverage due to excessive gap between the bolt carrier and the cocking support. The folding charging handle is a cam mechanism. If you can unfold the handle without resistance from it trying to push back on the bolt carrier then you probably have a problem with how the parts are installed or a broken weld at the cocking tube or trunnion.

Also, there really shouldn't be a difference in felt cocking resistance between loaded or unloaded. You should check your bolt gap empty and with a dummy cartridge. The gap should be the same and around 0.018".

Last edited:

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures for reference.

Attachments

• 28315HK_BOLT_GAP_PG_1.jpg
    28315HK_BOLT_GAP_PG_1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 28315HK_BOLT_GAP_PG_2.jpg