Hobbies/collections you kinda stumbled into unexpectedly...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody here collect things that they really wasn't trying to, but wound up collecting anyway?

I know, that sounds kinda silly, but I have a collection of certain items, that just kinda started one day without me even realizing it did.

The year was 1980. I was in the fifth grade, and we had just finished lunch, and were on the playground. The bell rang and we all filed in back to our classroom...ho-hum. :rolleyes2

As I walked in to sit down, I noticed there was a little red book on every student's desk. I sat down and looked at mine, and it said New Testament/Psalms Proverbs.

20220824_075537.jpg

Our teacher, Mrs. Perkins told us that the Gideons came and missed us, because we were at recess, but left us all a pocket bible. At 11-12 years old, I didnt know (nor care) too much about God's word, but I knew well enough not to just throw it away, so I kept it.

Fast forward about 25 years...

I start work at Seminole State College campus police in 2005. One night, I was locking up and I walked through the student union and I see a little green Gideons pocket bible just like my red one that I still had. So I picked it up and put it in my pocket.

A few weeks later, I spotted an orange one...then a blue one...then a white one. Before I knew it, I had about 7 or 8 of em. I always heard that if you have three or more of a particular item, that makes you officially a collector.

Here's my modest collection today.

20220824_074624.jpg

I've researched them and each color means something. Like the white one is dedicated to nursing, orange for sidewalk distribution, brown for county jail gifts. I don't know how some of the different colors wound up at the college, but that's where I got them all.

Except my three camo ones. The army ACU was given to me by my son in law while he was stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas 12 years ago. The navy digital I received from my niece who just signed up for another 4 years in the US Navy. And she also gave me the desert camo one, she found it in a thrift shop in San Diego where she lives. Those three probably mean more to me than any of the others.

Besides the red one.

Sorry for the novella. :respect:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That certainly is an unusual item to be collecting! For my part, it’s vintage desktop fans from before WW2, though I do have a couple neat post-WW2 fans, and recently I started collecting vintage fire / school electric alarm bells.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That certainly is an unusual item to be collecting! For my part, it’s vintage desktop fans from before WW2, though I do have a couple neat post-WW2 fans, and recently I started collecting vintage fire / school electric alarm bells.

Like I said, I really didn't seek out to collect em, it just kinda happened. I'm in too deep to stop now!

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, miniature guitars. I'm not sure how it happened. My sister bought the boxed set of Gibson replicas when I graduated from TCC. Then, people just started giving them to me, my sister has given me some of the others and my wife bought most of the rest of them. I've never bought one, or even asked for one, but I guess they decided I was collecting them. :rollingla

I'm not complaining, I love them!

1661350746156.png

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, miniature guitars. I'm not sure how it happened. My sister bought the boxed set of Gibson replicas when I graduated from TCC. Then, people just started giving them to me, my sister has given me some of the others and my wife bought most of the rest of them. I've never bought one, or even asked for one, but I guess they decided I was collecting them. :rollingla

I'm not complaining, I love them!

View attachment 296891

I've seen those, I like em.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
German (and some from the US) mess hall dinnerware from WWII. Don't know why I found it appealing, but I did. I started buying the stuff off of eBay way back in the mid 90s. Haven't bought any for over 20 years, though. I keep a few pieces displayed but it's mostly just packed away, taking up space. I have dinner plates, salad plates, cups, saucers, coffee pot, tea pot, silverware, etc... I really like the history surrounding these pieces. I have stuff marked with Luftwaffe, army, SS and maybe some other organizations. Here's just a few pieces:

Luftwaffe coffee cup:
DSC_0051 (2).JPG

Salt/Pepper well:
DSC_0053 (2).JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom