Hobbies/collections you kinda stumbled into unexpectedly...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a photo of the ash tray from the Pueblo my father was on the USS Belmont which was in the same class as the Pueblo and Liberty
6AC6DEA9-C4CA-4D39-8369-444540D5763D.jpeg

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mr.Glock said:
Yes. These two was at Bell Isle and then the Carousel was moved to Springlake Amusement Park. Some you Okies that are old might have planted your asses on these two!

I have had an interest in carousels for many years. I started wood carving figures of carousel animals about 20-25 years ago. These two were the first I did, and have given about a dozen to family members over the years. Something very reminiscent with these old figures. Somewhere here, I have photos I took of every figure on the Santa Monica pier carousel.
36DAF243-3ED0-40DB-813F-A6CC82C007D1.jpeg

@DavidMcMillan

You sir are talented!

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gill guns.

Yup. Kind of fell into it by accident.

I bought the first one and decided I wanted a parts rifle for spare parts. So I found and bought a non-working 87A for cheap. Then discovered it was only missing the firing pin. So I bought a pin and it worked perfectly. Well now that I had 2 I really wanted backup parts. So I located another "parts rifle" for dirt cheap. Well, the only thing wrong with it was that it was assembled incorrectly. After fixing that I had 3, so now I definitely needed spare parts. That was when I found an 87A under the Ward's label. It was beat to Hell, rusty, stock looked terrible, and filthy as could be. It looked like it had been rattling around in the bed of a pickup for about 20 years. I figured there was no way this one was salvageable. Guess what, I was wrong. After a thorough cleaning and reassembly it worked flawlessly. So I reblued it and refinished the stock. It now belongs to my daughter. At that point I just caved and started grabbing gill guns whenever I could find and afford them. Then I decided I wanted a set of the sister rifles as well. I think you all know the rest...

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Gill guns.

Yup. Kind of fell into it by accident.

I bought the first one and decided I wanted a parts rifle for backup parts. So I found and bought a non-working 87A for cheap. Then discovered it was only missing the firing pin. So I bought a pin and it worked perfectly. Well now that I had 2 I really wanted backup parts. So I located another "parts rifle" for dirt cheap. Well, the only thing wrong with it was that it was assembled incorrectly. After fixing that I had 3 so now I definitely needed spare parts. That was when I found an 87A under the Ward's label. It was beat to Hell, rusty, stock looked terrible, and filthy as could be. It looked like it had been rattling around in the bed of a pickup for about 20 years. I figured there was no way this one was salvageable. Guess what, I was wrong. After a through cleaning and reassembly if worked flawlessly. So I reblued it and refinished the stock. It now belongs to my daughter. At that point I just caved and started grabbing gill guns whenever I could find and afford them. Then I decided I wanted a set of the sister rifles as well. I think you all know the rest...
We have here what you would call a classic case of hoarder tendencies.......... :bolt: :cool:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
20220825_134308.jpg
Top is a Craftsman Barlow my Mom sent me, it was rusted closed and when I got it free one of the springs was snapped in half. Found a donor knife and repaired this one. Have a bid in on ebay for a Kabar Barlow. The Smith and Wesson I found after I bought my M&P Shield +. It is a flipper so kinda cool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom