Hog hunting question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We took three out of the herd Nov. 28, on my dads farm as the sun was going down. It may depend on pressure that's been applied that dictates their movement. I've harvested them in the morning, afternoon, and evening. I haven't hunted them after dark because I don't have the equipment to do that.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I raised hogs for a few years, but never hunted the feral ones (only saw one, and it was late afternoon IIRC).

Domestic ones mostly sleep at night, but we'd hear a few flapping the feeder lids at times. Hogs are pretty adaptable though, so I'm guessin' Jcann is correct that it may depend on how hard they're being hunted.

There are a few hog trappers on OSA, and I'm sure they can shed more light on the subject.
:drunk2:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know they cannot stand heat if you are running them. They will just die in mid run. I don't know how many times i've seen that. Are ferals the same? Pigs I observed during the cold winter months liked heat lamps and sleeping together in bedding for warmth.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend and myself went bow hunting for a pig and he missed and I just had a recurve.
I hit it on the run in the flank.
We chased and chased it and it ran just fast enough to stay ahead of us.
We were in our early 20's and could run for a long time I was in cross country and I think that pig could run for days without tiring.
Finally ran it to another property with barbed wire fence and gave up.

My arrow came out and I got it back.
That was all we got besides getting very tired or chasing a 70 lb pig.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only killed two pigs in my lifetime. One with a rifle that was over 100 lbs and the second with a bow that would be lucky to be 40 lbs.
None shot in my hunting areas. We just don’t have em. The terrain isn’t to their liking I’m thinking.
The smaller one was shot with a bow in the Cement town area.
Texas heart shot. It didn’t go far with the first two vertebrae exploded and lodged in the third. I kept it on my desk for years as a conversation starter at work.

IMG_2113.jpg

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only killed two pigs in my lifetime. One with a rifle that was over 100 lbs and the second with a bow that would be lucky to be 40 lbs.
None shot in my hunting areas. We just don’t have em. The terrain isn’t to their liking I’m thinking.
The smaller one was shot with a bow in the Cement town area.
Texas heart shot. It didn’t go far with the first two vertebrae exploded and lodged in the third. I kept it on my desk for years as a conversation starter at work.

View attachment 183504
You use a rifle that is over 100 pounds? You are a MAN!!!! :rollingla:rotflmao:

Latest posts

Top Bottom