1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

hog hunting with a suppressor

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by rifleman 1981, Sep 6, 2010.

1. rifleman 1981

rifleman 1981 Sharpshooter

Rating
    71.4%
    I know this is a pretty controversial issue, but anyone in Oklahoma ever hog hunt with a can??? the way i read the regs it says game animals, game birds, and non game birds cannot be hunted with a suppressor, but a hog is not considered a ( game animal ) anyone have any expereince in this area???

2. WhiteyMacD

WhiteyMacD Sharpshooter

They are considered a game animal, there is just not a regulated season (If using WMA land, you must be in a hunting season, deer, dove, whatever) nor require hunting licenses. If you look up Hogs, you will see they still have regulations attached to them.

The only exception I see for Hogs is the use of a light device("Night scope"), however, I think you still have to adhere to 30 minutes pre official sunrise to 30 minute post official sunset.

3. rifleman 1981

Rating
    71.4%
    as far as I can tell they are not defined as a game animal in the sense that a hunting liscense is not required in order to hunt or take a wild hog

4. WhiteyMacD

WhiteyMacD Sharpshooter

In the state of Oklahoma, you cannot use a suppressor to hunt. A license does not dictate this, regulations do. Hog hunting is regulated (not by license, see exceptions during certain seasons, nor by season). AFAIK, even land owners have to have a special (FREE) permit for taking of Hogs as nuisance control.

And for the record, you do need a license if you plan on huntin hogs during deer, elk, bear, or antelope seasons. You need an appropriate license for that season, filled or unfilled, regardless if on private or public land.

5. rifleman 1981

Rating
    71.4%
    I will call our local wildlife officer tomorrow, it says a game animal cannot be taken with a silencer, and from what I can tell a hog is not regulated as a game animal, or it would require a license and could not be hunted year round with no seasonal limitations or bag limits, as far as i can tell every animal that is regulated, bobcat, fox, coyote, deer, dove, skunk, possum, and every other animal has a regulated season, a hog does not, ill post what I find out

6. WhiteyMacD

WhiteyMacD Sharpshooter

Again, regulation by season does not equate to game animal. Game animal is any animal, not domesticated, which is hunted for sport or food. Hogs are a regulated animal.

According to a PM, you might be able to get permission from a GW, but that does not make it legal for any blow without permission to go hunting hogs with a suppressors

7. Wall

Wall Sharpshooter

while we're at it, how about Yotes?

8. WhiteyMacD

WhiteyMacD Sharpshooter

Would all depend on if predators are considered game animals. As stated before, the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife defines Game Animal as any non domesticated animal taken for sport or food.

The following would apply. General Regs

I will say that if you are hunting any wildlife not regulated by season during the season of a regulated game animal, you will have to follow the regulations for the in-season animal. So if you want to hunt yotes during deer/gun, you will need to adhere to the deer/gun legal means of taking.

9. WhiteyMacD

WhiteyMacD Sharpshooter

Again, contact a game warden first (special permission may apply), however

No exception listed for feral game or predatory mammals.

10. rifleman 1981

Rating
    71.4%
    a coyote is considered a fur bearer and thus is regulated by the department of wildlife, and illegal to take with a suppressor