Hog Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend in high school had a Savage 24 22 lr over 20 ga, and I thought that was the coolest gun ever.

Blasers are German made.

I always wanted the .22 Hornet over 20 ga, but just didn’t have the money back then. I’ve seen them at gun shows but the lockup is horribly loose. I guess folks back in those days didn’t know how to grease a hinge pin.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you need to borrow a "big enough" gun???
Thank you kindly, but no. I was just planning on using my 223 GSR. I have a new electronic sight on it and am in the process of getting it sighted in. Tell the truth, I am planning to work on that tomorrow, weather permitting. I'd a sighted it in yesterday, except I did not bring a screwdriver. If I go--and that's a big 'if'--I'll likely go to a public hunting area.

I'll bet that Remington 'Hog Hammer' load would work well if I do my part.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been thinking about giving it a try. There aren't any around here so that means I'll have to do some traveling. Where are some good places in Oklahoma?

Also ran across this anatomical target of a hog and thought it might be useful to a few of you.

res.cloudinary.com_yaffa_publishing_image_fetch_v1438309115_ht5ff2ae05a58e566e8c1416fdc6e13550.jpg

Are the private hog-hunting preserves worth considering?
Thank you for the vitals diagram!

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good sharp 8-10" blade inserted right behind the front leg will do the trick. (Dog hangin on hogs ear is optional but recommended)

Edit: This method provides an enormous adrenaline rush that I've found unobtainable by doing anything else.

Seansworth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Contrary to internet lore, pigs aren’t that hard to kill. I’ve killed several with head shots from a 17hmr and 22 lr.

I know a rancher who only keeps a .22lr in his ranch truck. At least once a week last year he killed a hog while driving around checking his cattle. Of course, whenever anyone would ask how many shots he'd take he would smile and say the killing shot was the only one that mattered.

I still prefer to have something a little larger when I know pigs are in the area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom