Hog kill 22Lr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve killed several with 22 lr and 17 hmr. Shot placement is the key.
As have I ,there's a difference between shooting them while they stand there eating corn and shooting them running at you in the brush. And I shot one that weighed 358 field dressed and it was bigger than the one they are calling 400 in the video.
I can't count the times someone told me they just shot a 300 pounder then we weighed it and it was really 180

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As have I ,there's a difference between shooting them while they stand there eating corn and shooting them running at you in the brush. And I shot one that weighed 358 field dressed and it was bigger than the one they are calling 400 in the video.
I can't count the times someone told me they just shot a 300 pounder then we weighed it and it was really 180
That weight BS happens all of the time.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That weight BS happens all of the time.
A few years ago I was a member of a hunting club in coal county and we were in the dmap program so we had scales etc setup at the ranch headquarters. One day one of the members comes over the radio hollering about he just killed the biggest hog he ever saw ,so big he can't move it and needs help loading it. Says has to be 500lbs so a couple guys go help him and when we get it on the scale 231 guts still in it

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I killed one that laying dead on it's side the rib cage was even with the bottom of my knee cap So 18".
It was huge I could not drag it with guts removed.
I could not drag my buddies 400lb Hampshire either.
It is amazing how large a Hog will get but killing them is about the same.

Except what saddlebum stated when they are running at you in the woods.
Mine have been in the woods not at any feeders and I had to position myself and wait for the right shot.
Only 1 was running towards me and it fell from a shot by my .308.
I did not pick a good bullet for killing but i was in test mode with that bullet.

Sierra Palma 155gr #2156.. it shot like a laser but no expansion when going into game and it wanted to be pushed very fast for best accuracy. 2950+ fps from a .308 and 3176 fps in my 30-06.. too bad it did not kill well.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use .22 lr for hogs in traps, placed right it nearly always works, but ive seen them get back up too.. hunting them, less than optimal shot angle, brush, moving hog, etc- better to use a deer capable cartridge.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 358lb field dressed boar I killed had nuts as big as soccer balls, I took it to Terry's taxidermy to process it and he said you sure you want to try and eat it? I told to just grind it all and make some breakfast sausage heavy on the spice. First time I tried to cook some of it it stunk the whole house up so I tossed in the back yard and my dog sniffed it then hiked his leg and pissed on it.
I had just got a new lease at Hinton and decided to take the rest out there and shoot coyotes off of it. When I let the lease go a year later most of that pile was still there only thing I ever saw eat on it was maggots.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was told by my wifes grandfather do not get a male hog as they are pissy.
I asked what he meant by "pissy".
He said get one and find out.
This was over a 2 decades ago and i got a farm raised male that had nuts, I paid 35 bucks for it and figured worth a try.

I found out what "pissy" was all about.
I have harvested small males that nuts did not drop and they were excellent.
I have got pork sausage a couple times from Braums and it was "pissy" both times.
No more of that for me.

I hear there is a way to remove that flavor..but did not remember who or what was said to do it.
I know I do not like it and the HUGE females do not have any of that flavor.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A co-worker once told me that he does not process any wild feral hog above 125 LBS and prefers the 75-100 LB hog. He will help eradicate the population by killing the larger hogs and feeding the other wild animals and birds. He called it re-cycling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom