Hog Trapping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've got the spicy and mild, and yes, they are great! I've used Tony Chacheres for years, and HC seasoning has taken its place on most everything.:thumb:
Talking about Tonys brings a smile to my face. My youngest now 17 when he was about 5 I got some tonys and put on some pork steaks and grilled them. he ate it and said what is on this I said Tonys. He said it sure is tasty. Next time I was going to grill out he said hey could you put some that tony stuff on mind.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I "marinated" two tenderloins with Head Country seasoning a couple days ago and grilled them yesterday. Holy Cow!!! They were great!!!

I'm going to try it with the backstrap next and am going to get my father in law to smoke at least one of the hind quarters.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure a major part of how wild pigs taste depends on their diet. Pigs in different areas probably taste different considering the fact that they will eat anything. I have never ate a wild pig that was taken in my area that wasnt good. But I can see how one taken somewhere else would taste bad based on their diet in that area. Seeing as how their meat eaters as well.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are correct. There is a bumper crop of acorns this year, so I'm confident that was a major staple for the ones I killed. Like I said before, there are a bunch of corn feeders in the area, and I'm sure that they had consumed their share of that too. Those two pieces of their diet puzzle probably contributes to the lack of stench and good flavor.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well Im going to keep on eating them whenever the freezer gets low. Probably going to trap a few next week for a friend at work that needs some meat. I havent trapped or dogged any since the new transporting laws took effect. I may try to find another buyer and do a little trapping soon for bill money.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wild pigs are good eating. Sows are good at any size, boars are only good when they are less then 150 lbs or before they become sexually mature. Once they get the piss smell in the boars feed them to the coyotes, as the meat will taste like it smells. I've eaten wild sows over 250lbs that we're good to go.
Most Boars end up as scavenger food. Just my two cents..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread got me back in the mood.
15726697_1556212101062084_7035928159476120520_n.jpg
15780659_1556211911062103_3822279243410452777_n.jpg

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago I set up a deer feeder to feed some domestic ducks on my pond. i also had the great idea to set one up across the pond on the pond dam thinking it might bring deer in that I could enjoy watching. Of course it wasn't long before the ducks found the other feeder and would go over and eat the corn when it went off as well but I decided to just let them go for it. One morning I was enjoying watching the ducks scavenge in the grass when what looked like a state fair pig walked in casually, grabbed a duck and ran off into the woods with it. I will admit that I was a bit traumatized by this. I immediately removed the feeder on the pond dam and vowed to kill any state fair pig-looking creatures that I ran across on my property. I've seen occasional evidence of them, but never seen another one. This is also the day I realized that everything eats poultry.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forget the pigs, I'm more impressed that you have what looks like a Kubota track skidsteer. Lucky man.

I bought a new tract of land a couple years ago and got the wild hair that I "needed" a skid steer and brush mower to clean it up. I used it a lot the first year and even did a few jobs for other people, but what I wanted to do for myself for "fun" quickly turned into WORK.

I'm in the process of leasing (and hopefully buying later) 160 acres beside my other place, and I will be getting ALOT of time on the machine to get it cleaned up. I have the brush mower, a bucket, tree shear, and a grapple for it.
img.photobucket.com_albums_v712_retrieverman_icons_IMG_0608_zpsah9rdrjc.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom