Holographic vs round-tube rifle sight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell me what you use on your modern sporting rifle and why? I like the compactness of things like the romeo 20mm's but the durability and sight picture of the eotech. But the bulk and weight seems like a trade off...also larger 30mm round-tubes throw a wrench in the debate but I'd about decided I don't like their bulk either...so just trying to consider between eotech style vs smaller short. round-tube red dots. Seems like Primary Arms or someone makes a 25mm so maybe that is a good trade off?

Obviously the 1-4x scopes are popular too so if you choose that over all, then explain.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you say modern sporting rifle, I assume you mean a bolt action deer rifle. I prefer a regular scope with magnification. If you’re referring to an AR, I like an Eotech.

I’ve tried half a dozen red dots on my crossbows, but I’ve gone back to a regular scope due to aiming issues/target acquisition in low light.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have an astigmatism holographic sights may be a deal breaker for you . I prefer a plain old Aimpoint myself . I do have an MRO on the PS90 though as its more compact

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you say modern sporting rifle, I assume you mean a bolt action deer rifle. I prefer a regular scope with magnification. If you’re referring to an AR, I like an Eotech.

I’ve tried half a dozen red dots on my crossbows, but I’ve gone back to a regular scope due to aiming issues/target acquisition in low light.
https://www.nssf.org/msr/
We need to call them what they are.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I run prism red dot scopes and a couple LPVOs with illuminated reticles.

I haven't quite gotten used to the magnified scopes yet.

Dillon157

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This can be a pretty subjective topic but I like the simplicity of a plain red dot. Red dot optics also tend to provide far greater battery life to holographic sights.

As for LPVOs, there are a lot of pros to that kind of optic platform. Magnification that’s mostly unrivaled by flip away magnifiers, the ability to use them without power (dead battery, SHTF scenarios, etc), and great glass clarity. For me, the cons always outweighed those benefits though. On an AR15, I just couldn’t get past the eyebox and eye relief constraints. This becomes particularly challenging in unorthodox shooting positions.

Holograph sights like the eotech suffer from decreased battery life but they’re pretty dang fast due to the reticle design (which can be commonly found in many red dot sights these days). I have an Eotech Exps3 / G33 magnifier set up on one of my ARs and love it.

All in all, though, I gravitate most to a regular aimpoint with a simple dot, and battery life that will get you well through a year and beyond of constant power!

Genesis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 2 eotechs, 5 or 6 30mm ainpoints, one acog, and a few lpvo. I prefer the lpvo. Its better for my eyes (astigmatism), and has a much more forgiving eye box than the acog. The eotech is basically garbage, imo (bought em for clone builds), id NEVER trust em with my life. The aimpoints are of course bombproof, but the dot, which is usable to me, is an inaccurate blob (again, thats my eyes).

Edit: the eotech w/mag which i have one of is cool, but, i find an lpvo does that job better, imo. Everyone is different!

Latest posts

Top Bottom