Holosun HS507C attachment questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbc

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's possible to attach it to a pistol without having the slide drilled? I knew that some of them it was possible to remove the rear sight and attach it some way in the notch. But I'm unfamiliar with red dots and sorely in need of knowledgeable advice.
If it's not possible would it be possible to drill the slide myself? I've got much experience drilling metal but no gunsmith experience except for changing triggers and springs simple stuff like that. Barring any of that how much do you reckon it would cost me to have a gunsmith drill 2 slides for me.

Beau B

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's possible to attach it to a pistol without having the slide drilled? I knew that some of them it was possible to remove the rear sight and attach it some way in the notch. But I'm unfamiliar with red dots and sorely in need of knowledgeable advice.
If it's not possible would it be possible to drill the slide myself? I've got much experience drilling metal but no gunsmith experience except for changing triggers and springs simple stuff like that. Barring any of that how much do you reckon it would cost me to have a gunsmith drill 2 slides for me.
I believe that will come down to the mounting plate you use. You can buy plates that attach using the dovetail groove the rear sight sits in. I’ve got a pistol that’s not optic ready and I don’t really want to have it milled, thinking of going that route.

Beau B

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm against going this route for several reasons. When you have a slide milled or has been premilled, you are going to get a sturdy mounting system. Every dovetail mount I've seen, has had flex. Flex on plates is a bad thing in the MRDS world.

If you were ever in a situation where you had to rack the slide off the optic, I would never trust my life with a dovetail mount.

You are never going to get a proper cowitness with irons going this route. Batteries die, electronics fail and emitters get clogged.

If this isn't going to be a weapon you will use for carry or defense, give it a shot. It will be a cheap way to see if this is the way you want to go.

Jbc

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm against going this route for several reasons. When you have a slide milled or has been premilled, you are going to get a sturdy mounting system. Every dovetail mount I've seen, has had flex. Flex on plates is a bad thing in the MRDS world.

If you were ever in a situation where you had to rack the slide off the optic, I would never trust my life with a dovetail mount.

You are never going to get a proper cowitness with irons going this route. Batteries die, electronics fail and emitters get clogged.

If this isn't going to be a weapon you will use for carry or defense, give it a shot. It will be a cheap way to see if this is the way you want to go.
It would be on my edc pdf. You make a good point. Can you give me a ballpark estimate of what I could expect to pay to have it milled? Has the price to have it done gone up like everything else since Biden.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the weapon. What weapon? You may or may not be able to get it milled.

Typically under 200 dollars round trip from Jagerwerks has been my experience. I've been using them for the last few builds.

Beau B

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You talked me out of it. That’s very good to know..the only negative I was aware of was the obvious; you’re losing your rear sight, no cowitnessing.
I’ll get mine milled if I decide to add an optic to it.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You talked me out of it. That’s very good to know..the only negative I was aware of was the obvious; you’re losing your rear sight, no cowitnessing.
I’ll get mine milled if I decide to add an optic to it.

Do you have an optic on any yet? If not, you're more than welcome to blast away with mine. I have a few.

I should have my slide, custom plates and Sights here this week. If I can find another RMR before the weekend, I'll have 3 more to zero

Beau B

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have an optic on any yet? If not, you're more than welcome to blast away with mine. I have a few.

I should have my slide, custom plates and Sights here this week. If I can find another RMR before the weekend, I'll have 3 more to zero
I do, got a Holosun 507c for my Vp9l a couple weeks ago. It’s optic ready, the hardest part was finding an adapter plate!
That was the first one I’ve ever put on a pistol.
Just pre-ordered the 507c with the Vulcan reticle, looks pretty sweet. It’s got this large circle around it that’s invisible if you’re presenting correctly but if you’re canted or tilted at all you can see which way to correct it.
I appreciate the offer! If I run into you at the range again I’d like to take a look at what you’re running, haven’t really had any hands on with any of them. Maybe I’ll find something else I NEED REALLY BAD.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do, got a Holosun 507c for my Vp9l a couple weeks ago. It’s optic ready, the hardest part was finding an adapter plate!
That was the first one I’ve ever put on a pistol.
Just pre-ordered the 507c with the Vulcan reticle, looks pretty sweet. It’s got this large circle around it that’s invisible if you’re presenting correctly but if you’re canted or tilted at all you can see which way to correct it.
I appreciate the offer! If I run into you at the range again I’d like to take a look at what you’re running, haven’t really had any hands on with any of them. Maybe I’ll find something else I NEED REALLY BAD.

I just watched Sage's video on that reticle last night. That is a helluva training reticle. Everywhere seems to be sold out right now though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom