Holster break in.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you guys use to help break in your leather holsters? I have either used saddle soap or linseed oil, but I know that is old school. Is there something better out there now? I got my 2018 Command holster / mag holder today and like it, but man is it stiff. It needs to be softened a little and broken in. My old pancake for my P89 could use some work too once I can breathe any fumes.

Yes I am getting better and can go with O2 while sitting or sleeping. Still need it if up moving around.

Holster is similar to this but black and for my shield. My shield does not extend below the holster.

2018-Commander-Brown-Front__11041__60947.1569880989.jpg

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bear Creek Holsters includes a little strip of leather with their holsters that you can use for adjusting the fitting for your gun. You just slip the strip into the where you are seeing to much contact and then insert you gun for 15-30 min at time until you have a fit you want.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wrap your gun in wax paper and wear it around your house and leave it there when you take it off. Couple of days you'll be good to go. Some need a little more time than others. Some guys use a baggie, I prefer wax paper. What you don't want to do is make the holster too loose. Wrap it for a day and night take the paper off and insert your gun in the holster repeat until you decide the tension is right for you. Sorry @dennishoddy, NO LINSEED OIL.

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Linseed oil is old school for when our holsters all had a leather cord over the hammer, a leather strap that snapped, or even a thump snap. I still have and use all three. :P

My new holster has not real securing method outside of being concealed so it does need to be tight.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@RickN , you want your leather holster to remain stiff, otherwise, you might as well carry your pistol in an old sock tired to your belt. A soft leather holster is a bad leather holster. Do not use any oil or saddle soap, it will make the holster limp, and we all know that limp ain't good! The advice above on wax paper is solid. If it's really tight, put the gun in an old bread bag, or try a couple of layers of wax paper. Then just wear it around and let it form to the gun and your body. It will maybe take a couple days, but it really is the best way to break it in.

(PS: If you ignore this, and go ahead and grease it up with some kinda oil or saddle soap or whatever and ruin it, let me know and I'll send you an old and somewhat stiff dirty sock)

Latest posts

Top Bottom