Holster break in.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wrap your (unloaded and cleared) gun in wax paper. Then insert the gun in and remove from the holster several times. Wrap two layers if needed. I’ve been told this from more than one leather holster maker. Most recently by Tom Thurner of TT gun leather.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, the wax paper or baggie trick works and won't soften the leather. NO OIL!

Or, you could just wear it around for a few days; they loosen up on their own. I've been making my own for a few years now and when they're finished, they usually will hold a loaded pistol upside down. But, I wear them all day long and after a while, some of them won't do that anymore.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As others have stated....use a bag..I've used walmart, bread, and storage bags. Time is what you need....do one bag wait maybe a day. Check it......do it again....check it. Then after a week or so if needed maybe two bags. The key is to NOT over stretch it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys because of the holster design I knew not to use oil, which is why I asked for opinions while doing my own research. Many times what you find on the web is so much BS. I grew up when linseed oil or saddle soap were the recommended ways to break in a holster but I knew that times change and there was probably a better way.

It is like cleaning a cast iron skillet, the old way was to just throw it into a hot fire and burn off any gunk. Of course this damaged or destroyed a lot of skillets. Now you either use an etank or lye bath.

Anyway I wrapped it in wax paper last night, empty of course. I am not a complete noob. I will start wearing it around the house tonight.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That holster looks like it was made from the lady parts of a very old buffalo cow.

Water buffalo hide in distressed brown. I got mine in black and will post a pic in a few days. Hides my shield and a spare mag pretty well just under an untucked lite shirt.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few pic of the holster. Very tight but working. The built in mag pouch seemed like a good idea in theory, not so good in practice. You have to do a cross draw to get it. May try the holster cross draw and see if I can still draw with either hand. If not I will keep my main spare in a left hand pocket. I was wrong, the pistol does stick below the holster a little when fully seated.

It is my first attempt at a selfie so be kind, and I also noticed the upstairs maid did not clean the mirror. :P

Commander 1.jpg Commander  2.jpg Commander  3.jpg

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe your holster is supposed to be worn AIWB. That would center up your mag pouch to where you don't have to cross your hand over to pull the mag out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom