Holster repair - first time doing leather work in ages

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to build all of my own holsters. Since I began reloading, all of my available workbench space has been slowly overtaken by reloading items. It's probably been close to 3 years since I made any holsters, but my brother still uses one of the holsters I made him on a regular basis. He told me that he'd worn out the button that secures the strap that goes over the top of the firearm (the correct term eludes me right now). I told him to drop it off and I'd take care of it for him.

I have to say this holster has held together quite well over the past 5 or 6 years that he's had it. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy working with leather. I'll admit that I'm far from a professional, and I've seen much better work from others on OSA and elsewhere, but as a hobbyist, I'm proud that this has held up as well as it has.. I airbrushed a starburst pattern in the leather which is still looking good. All of the stitching has held up great, and the ivory inlaid initials are still in place. All positives in my book.

He's got a new button for the top strap so he's good to go now. He loves that his Kimber with those Wilson grips. I've never been fully sold on Kimbers, but this was a fine looking 1911.

When I used to make them for customers, most people wanted a kydex holster of one type or another. I made a ton of those, and they work just fine, but I always enjoyed the process of working with leather much more. One of these days I need to sit down and make up something special for my recently acquired Wilson EDC X9L,

Just thought I'd share this one with you all.

IMG_0793.JPG

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kydex, leather, or a combo really depends on the situation / application. I like kydex, unless it has to touch my skin.

Beau B

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good looking holster! I don’t think anything looks better than leather. I carry IWB most of the time so it’s usually a hybrid for me but that is purty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom