Home Air conditioner issue help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So house is only 6 months old (brand new built), we've been living here for 4 months and already having A/C issues.

Need advice on troubleshooting:
House is getting progressively warmer despite a/c running; air coming out is cool but not cold.

I checked outside and the compressor/fan is free of debris and is functioning. One thing I did notice is the freon line (smaller) was pretty warm.

I climbed into the attic and pulled panels off of the unit up there, I couldn't see the evaporator coils but everything else looked fine. Blower motors are running just fine.

I checked indoor return filter, its dirty but by no means clogged. All vents are open.

Only thing I can figure out is maybe low freon but then would the outer lines freeze eventually? I am a virgin when it comes to home A/C stuff and have no clue other than what I've read online.

Thanks!

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might check the unit to see if it is clean. The cotton wood tress are bad about plugging them up. You can just wash it out with a water hose. Not sure what they are called, but its the fins around it.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had similar symptoms on our smaller unit that covers the bedrooms. It is only about 6 months old so it was covered under warranty. Turns out is was a bad expansion valve. My buddy that is a HVAC guy said they have seen alot of issues with the expansion valves on the smaller(2 ton) units.

itzkwik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a 90% failure rate on a specific brand of TXV used by ALOT of diff manufacturers, your model and serial of the evaporater will determine wether it is one of these and there is no charge at all for the new txv. My father inlaw replaced 2 and both new ones were bad also so he got a new coil because the customer was getting pissed and rightfully so. This time of year the first thing you need to do is clean the condensor e en if it looks clean,clean it and change your inside filter,any good serv.tech will check these first after he had established it is running,then go from there.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TXV = thermo expansion valve. it's job is to meter correct amount of refrigerant into the A frame or evaporator coils.

a small temperature sensing bulb is located on evaporator coil surface. temp raises, valve opens up to release more liquid refrigerant, which hits the coils and turns into gas during heat exchange process.

objective when charging a system is to fill system just full enough to deliver a solid stream of liquid refrigerant to the TXV or fixed orifice. too much refrigerant means liquid is delivered to compressor, slugging it. high probability of killing the compressor.

a defective TXV means wrong amount of liquid is being delivered to evaporator coils.
superheat and sub cooling verifies if system has the correct charge. explanation may be a bit much for most non HVAC folks.

Last edited:

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TXV, that was it couldn't remember the acronym.....

As stated my buddy told me the failure rate is extremely high, I guess there is one manufacturer for the smaller units from many brands and they have some issues.....

itzkwik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully it is one of the new TXV's,its a very quick fix. The new ones have nuts instead of sweat connections which is nice.
Pump unit down,unbolt txv,install new one,pull vacum to 300-100 microns,open valves on condensor and enjoy. Had to sweat two on last week, in the 22 years ive been doin this work that's one thing I don't like doing cuz you have to be fast and careful not to burn the thing up(Coolgel,rags and water) pain in the azzz.

evaughn7

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone recomend a tech. Outside compressor shut down and ive got a preg wife telling me to fix it hah. It looks clean ( cleaned about 2 weeks ago) doesnt feel froze made some strange noise then just shutdown . Id rather look for someone off here then randomly pick out of the phonebook

Latest posts

Top Bottom