Home alarm companies ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading this thread I was doing some simple research. I came across this video. Just a heads up on Simplisafe. Not that it is a no go. Just a heads up.

Edit to add the video. lol:

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After reading this thread I was doing some simple research. I came across this video. Just a heads up on Simplisafe. Not that it is a no go. Just a heads up.

Edit to add the video. lol:

I believe most alarm systems have vulnerabilities. One thing I always make sure is to never advertise outside my home that I have an alarm system. I also have other redundant systems that will alert me in the event my alarm is bypassed. No system is perfect, I do believe all things being considered that SimpliSafe offers the best bang for the buck.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in 2017 I inquired with the locally owned alarm company I had been with for like 25 years for $20/month at each of 3-5 home and commercial locations at any given time about upgrading my (then) two alarms to the newer technology where I could arm/disarm and monitor other aspects of my system from an app on my mobile phone. I guess the approximately $20K I had paid these guys just for monitoring (plus probably another $10K in alarm builds and service calls) over the years was enough for them. Their 2017 bid for my most complicated alarm system build was $2700 and then $59.95 per month monitoring forever. At that time I had three location to monitor so I was looking at $180/month which just seemed a bit ridiculous. I looked at some of the big alarm companies as well and their prices were similar.

The local alarm company made one huge mistake in their bidding: they listed out the equipment they would be using, which got me to thinking. I started looking up the equipment on Amazon and found that I could purchase everything they had included for around $1200. I found some YouTube videos and other resources and though it was (and remains) a pretty hefty learning curve I successfully took on installing professional grade Ademco/Honeywell alarm equipment at three locations I needed to monitor.

I did still need to go with a company to get my systems online with the app to arm/disarm and monitor alerts. There are several companies doing this DIY stuff but I went with Geoarm and a self-monitoring account for $13/month and they haven't raised rates in the 5 years I've now been with them. (NOTE: In addition to doing new system monitoring they do a lot of "alarm takeovers" to get you their cheaper rates but you are responsible for any contractual implications of this with your existing company.)

Self-monitoring means I get alerts through the app and via text and either respond myself or call the police myself once I've verified an actual break-in. With this arrangement I have not needed the annual city permit as police are responding to the owner's call for service (rather than an alarm company 3rd party) and there are no false alarms ever reported to the city. The company I went with does have a central monitoring station service that you can add on for $5 per month if you want someone else to respond to your alerts and call the police for you. (This would also require the hefty annual municipal alarm permit, where applicable.)

In the midst of this huge project and before committing to the complicated Ademco/Honeywell installs I did order and return a Simpli Safe system and one other similar DIY package. In comparison to the high end pro stuff I ended up using the equipment these companies sent was just cheap and not expandable enough to get the more complicated systems. Plus, the monthly monitoring was too expensive in my opinion. These days if someone wanted a system of this caliber I'd probably suggest building something up on the Ring or Wyze platform but I would still recommend a professional system like the companies use (i.e. Ademco/Honeywell.)

In the end I built nine of these alarms over a couple of years for my home, thorough coverage of a rural property/compound, some commercial locations and each of my parents' houses and my total monthly charge is $108. At one point I actually thought about getting into the alarm business, but the only real way to make a lot of money is by charging people $59.95/month for something that would cost me $13 which isn't something I can do to people. Plus, there is all sorts of licensing and state oversight in that business that absolutely didn't interest me. Instead I guess I'm a "DIY alarm consultant." I'm happy to answer a few questions for no charge. Once it gets to the "you need more than a few questions" stage I charge an hourly rate to consult either remotely or on site if necessary. To be clear, I do not and cannot do the work for other but am happy to help with everything from planning out the system to offering install tips to helping if someone gets stuck on programming.

Let me know if I can help!

Bryan

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ADT installed our home alarm system Dec. 2018 in Norman........four doors, all the windows, two inside motion detectors, one inside keypad, a hallway smoke alarm and a backup battery box in the hall closet.

Received my three month bill today and it went from $177.36 to $192.21.......the increase is not going to break the bank but if I can get the same service for less why pay more ?

Is there a alarm company that is as good or better than ADT for less money ?........are you normally charged a fee to switch from one company to another ?

Thanks.

Geoarm does alarm takeovers of most types of alarm equipment nd charges $13/month for monitoring with app access only and $18/month for app access and a central station (human) monitoring. If you're "off contract" with ADT now then this might be a good option for you. (Geoarm doesn't care if you're off contract or not, but ADT will.)

If for some reason Geoarm cannot takeover your account it might be cheaper with a year or two to remove their system and DIY your own system. I have a longer post in this thread on this topic.

2buckets

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve used Simplisafe for several years in my homes and business. They have always been very quick to notify me in the event of any alarms.
What sold me on them was the fact that the equipment didn’t rely on my internet or electrical service being on. Cellular service and battery backup is all that’s needed.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ADT installed our home alarm system Dec. 2018 in Norman........four doors, all the windows, two inside motion detectors, one inside keypad, a hallway smoke alarm and a backup battery box in the hall closet.

Received my three month bill today and it went from $177.36 to $192.21.......the increase is not going to break the bank but if I can get the same service for less why pay more ?

Is there a alarm company that is as good or better than ADT for less money ?........are you normally charged a fee to switch from one company to another ?

Thanks.
Wow! I pay $107 for four cameras hardwired with DVR, 8 window sensors, four door sensors, 3 glass break sensors, two dog friendly motion detectors, a thermostat and the alarm panel. And I have an app to control the thermostat and view my cameras on my phone. It’s Alert 360 based in Tulsa. I’ve been really happy with them.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up going with Alert360.

They are going to use my existing system and just change it over from ADT to Alert360 next Wed. morning.......I don't have to purchase anything additional and the changeover is free.

It's a 36 month contract and I set it up to be billed quarterly like I did with ADT........figuring it monthly my bill goes from $64.07 per month with ADT to $22.95 with Alert360 which is a per month savings of $41.12.

Again I really want to thank everyone that took the time to reply.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We went back to SimpliSafe. Overall best bang for the buck in my opinion. We had Brinks and they were charging $66 a month and half the time it did not work properly. I pay $30 a month now with no contract. I bought everything for about $400 with AAA 40% off.
I like simplysafe quite a bit, however I highly recommend getting a separate Camera system for outdoors. I have one simplysafe camera, use it in my garage. Not bad, but another $5 per month just to store video and images.

Latest posts

Top Bottom