Home alarm companies ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had TNT for $19.95 a month and was very good, they called anytime alarm went off no matter how quick we reset it due to our mistakes. TNT got sold to Protection 1 (an ADT subsidiary) and went up to about $36, now billing just says ADT with cell type calling is now $45 per month and they've never called once to check if alarm was an accident or should have a response needed.

I hate when good companies are bought out by competition

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have had Simplisafe for years. Monitoring is just $15/month. The best!!
I am / was a technician for 25 years. I still have my Ademco alarm I installed in my house but I have no hardline telephone. Wireless communication via cell was expensive and a joke at the same time. If the cell didn't work due to lack of signal it was sunsetted technology in 5 years or less causing a new purchase of the latest and greatest cell technology which in turn will be sunsetted itself. See the pattern?

Simplisafe replaced all of the old system but it has it's drawbacks. I had to hack into a sensor and solder wires to the circuit board then use those wires to attach to my garage OVHD door. I also had to program a delay to that door so I could use it as an entry/exit door.

The only problem I have with Simplisafe is all of my sensors I learned into the system are lost every time I update my system.

Simplisafe tech support is a joke. I know more than any of them trying to"help" me. All they know is their script. If your answers to their questions don't fit their plug in script, it's like asking for extra ketchup on your hamburger at McDonalds. They can't do it because a machine squirts it and they cannot control it. You get a handful of ketchup packs as a consolation. Simplisafe is the same way. They will tell you they are escalating the call to a supervisor who is busy and will call back. They have NEVER called me back.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an alarm Installed on my new house before I bought it. Well I didn't have it installed, it was just a perk the builder always added to his spec homes. Haven't even read the manual on how ro use it. 5 LEOs live within a stones throw so there hasn't been 1 report of any crime near me in 5 years.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had TNT for $19.95 a month and was very good, they called anytime alarm went off no matter how quick we reset it due to our mistakes. TNT got sold to Protection 1 (an ADT subsidiary) and went up to about $36, now billing just says ADT with cell type calling is now $45 per month and they've never called once to check if alarm was an accident or should have a response needed.

I hate when good companies are bought out by competition
Back about 20 years ago ADT created little satellite offices with Ma and Pa Alarm Company and they assisted them getting clientele and a discount for pieces/parts/monitoring. Then when old Ma and Pa got to be pretty good sized ADT bought them out for a few million, sent them on a trip to Cancun for their trouble and took over all their accounts. It was cheaper than ADT doing all the business themselves and it kept the sullied ADT name out of the business

I saw it happen over and over.

Whoever thought that scheme up was brilliant.

The alarm business community was a kind of closed loop when it came to technicians. Once trained, you could go to any company and work. If they torqued you off, you could have another job that same day.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TNT got sold to Protection 1 (an ADT subsidiary)
We had Protection 1 do some work for us at my previous job, though nothing on the alarm side, just door access controls and an NVR and some cameras. I don’t recall them being an ADT subsidiary at the time, but that may have changed over the intervening years (at least six, maybe as many as twelve).

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As promised Alert360 was here to switch me over this morning bright and early at 8:15 a.m......from start to finish it took about 30 minutes.

I called ADT to cancel after Alert360 left and ADT offered to drop my bill from $64.07 per month to $28.09 per month if I'd stay with them (which is still higher than Alert360's $22.95 per month) and naturally I told them no.

While on the phone ADT did casually ask me who I switched to and how much they were charging and I declined to tell them.

alert 360.jpg

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prior to moving December 2021, we had The Alarm
Group, TAG, and were very pleased with their service and cost. If I remember correctly we were paying $35-40 per month, and that included service calls, etc.

jacouls

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have Vivint and pay $45 a month for everything, and we were given the pannel, 10 sensors, doorbell camera, and a smart thermostat. The monthly bill increases by $5 based off extra main hardware like cameras but not sensors.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw a new video on OKC tV yesterday, a couple were on vacation and were able to see thieves truck their safe and other valuables out of their home. They have it on video but still lost a lot of valuables.
I guess their alarm if they had one didn't deter the thieves. No one is truly safe these days.
One of these days I'm going to get a good alarm but by then Il'l already be burgled-that's usually the way we do things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom