Home Defense - Handgun or Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In your opinion, which is a better home defense gun?

• Handgun

Votes: 77 30.2%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 178 69.8%

• Total voters

theishkid

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If someone rings my doorbell at 3 in the morning or I think I'm just hearing some little noise I'm putting the glock by my side. If a window or door gets broken I'm grabbing the shotgun.

willnotgoquietly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I vote Shotgun. You may only get one shot off between the door and yourself. The Shotgun is a man stopper, the pistol is a maybe. The pistol is better then nothing, but a bad hit [shoulder or arm] with the 12g will still be devastating. A bad hit with the pistol might not even slow em down unless they just get scared off.

On the street, we can't carry the shotte, but in the house it is your best late night buddy.

Read a few of the articles on the http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/
The shotte ends the action every time. Also take a look at the box of truth stuff on shotguns. Very impressive power.

J

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that's it, you just made me realize I don't have my SG loaded and ready to go.. Its not by the bed but in the closet, my HG is under the bed ready.. I've really been meaning to load 'but not chamber' my SG.. I too have little ones and this has been my deterrent from loading it, even with out one in the chamber.

they can't pull the slide back on my HG but the SG well that may be easier.. I have a trigger lock around here somewhere for an option with it chambered......

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both and keep both handy, but I generally reach for the boomstick first.

My reasoning is that A) the sound of a racking shotty is enough to make near anyone drop a brick in their drawers, and B) if all else fails, I can impart some vicious blunt force trauma with the long gun.

Yes thats said with a touch of sarcasm.. and a touch of truth. (=

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DAze... if you're worried about little ones... and dont want to chamber load, take advantage of the built in "safe" lock on most (or all?) shotguns.

empty the chamber and magazine.
Cycle the bolt, leave it closed with an empty chamber, set the safety.
Now load the magazine.

What you have is:
A: Turn safety off to pull the trigger
B: Chamber is not loaded
C: Can't cycle the bolt w/o pressing the lever in front of the trigger to allow it to cycle w/o having pulled the trigger...

So, while its not as safe as a trigger lock, its rather complicated for a child to work their way through to both chamber a round and turn off the safety, and its faster than a lock for you because you can simple press the button and cycle a round and drop the safety in a matter of seconds, as opposed to finding a key for the trigger lock.

mdbeck1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
DAze... if you're worried about little ones... and dont want to chamber load, take advantage of the built in "safe" lock on most (or all?) shotguns.

empty the chamber and magazine.
Cycle the bolt, leave it closed with an empty chamber, set the safety.
Now load the magazine.

What you have is:
A: Turn safety off to pull the trigger
B: Chamber is not loaded
C: Can't cycle the bolt w/o pressing the lever in front of the trigger to allow it to cycle w/o having pulled the trigger...

So, while its not as safe as a trigger lock, its rather complicated for a child to work their way through to both chamber a round and turn off the safety, and its faster than a lock for you because you can simple press the button and cycle a round and drop the safety in a matter of seconds, as opposed to finding a key for the trigger lock.

Also... you CAN teach a YOUNG child that the shotgun is OFF LIMITS. Put it away when the kid's friends are over but your kids know not to touch it. X2 on leaving the round out of the chamber.

Take the mystery away. Take them out and let them shoot your guns. Leave the round out of the chamber when you are not shooting.

If they are very young put the firearm on top of the cabinet. Somewhere where you can reach it but they can't.

ChiefT

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Practice with both and see which one you are most comfortable/confident with. There are pros and cons for both but neither are worth a damn if you can't effectively use them. Personally I'm a 12 ga guy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom