Home Defense - Handgun or Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In your opinion, which is a better home defense gun?

• Handgun

Votes: 77 30.2%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 178 69.8%

• Total voters

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
870 with 00 buck leaning against the wall next to the bed. S&W model 10 loaded with .38 hollowpoints in the night stand. Not sure which I'd go to in an emergency, but when the wife thinks she hears something in the night, the shotgun is the one I grab first.

-S

Slammer

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
2300 N Lincoln Blvd, OKlahoma City, OK 73105
Didn't take the time to read every stinking post because I figured you were waiting anxiously for my personal response. I didn't vote because you don't have enough choices. My selection would be both or both and a rifle with a hi capacity magazine as well.
As I lay here in bed there are pistols in both night stands just in case momma wants in in the action. In the corner I have an 870 that holds 9 in the gun and 12 on the outside (yeah it's heavy but I work out). My AR is in the other room ready to go in case the Taliban decides my house is next. Over kill you say? Then why do they let you have more than just one?
If I had to choose just one gun it would be the AR because of the capacity, relative short size with the 16" barrel and colapsable stock and ease of reloading. If your funds are limited get on the classifieds here or stop at any pawn shop and pick up an old pump shotgun for a couple hundred bucks. They are cheap, readily available, and usually the most reliable.
That's all I got to say about that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They do make shotgun barrels and screw in chokes that are specifically built to spread the shot at close range.

They also make "spreader wads" for the same purpose.

Better yet, use your rifled slug barrel to shoot shot. I can guarantee it will increase the pattern tremendously.

Taurus Judge with a rifled barrel will put out a 12"+ pattern at 5 yds. Same round fired from a modified choke smooth bore is about 2".

Reaction score
The answer is "both" / "it depends".

If the situation warrants staying put, then point the shotgun at the closed bedroom door, call 911 and wait. No brainer.

If the situation warrants moving from room to room (checking on loved ones in other parts of the house, and/or retrieving phone to dial 911, etc.), then it's a closer call between rifle, shotgun, and handgun, but I prefer the handgun for going around corners. Ideally, the shotgun will be slung over the back, just in case, with handgun and a light in the hands while investigating.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
mossberg 590 beside bed loaded with remington 00 buck and a S&W 4506 with 230grn silvertips underneath the pillow i dont lay my head on. I live in the country but yet i'm strapped like i live in the ghetto lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom