Home Defense - Handgun or Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In your opinion, which is a better home defense gun?

• Handgun

Votes: 77 30.2%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 178 69.8%

• Total voters

xSMOKExLESSxCRACKx

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My home is not a very open floor plan so toting a shotty through the house would be rather clumsy at best. Worse having been just woken up by a broken window or a foot hitting the front door, so handgun it is.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its hard to beat the "chik rack" sound of an 870! But, a long barreled shotgun limits your mobility. Here's an idea...Both. I don't know how to rack a 870 with one hand, fire and still use the pistol, but it's always an option.:fullauto:

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the shotgun meets most home defense needs the best.
A google search will reveal many articles about this topic.

If I know I'm going to be in a gun fight or a fight with a gun, a handgun is the last one I would choose provided I have a choice.

In my home I have a choice. It will be 12ga shotgun.

After the Lincoln county shooting a few nights ago. (Just a few miles from my home.) My wife asked to practice with the shotgun this weekend. :)

Randy_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer a shotgun with a large magazine and a short barrel (within legal limits of course), loaded with 00 Buck, with the last couple rounds being slugs.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think about all the news stories you read. When it's handguns: normally ends up with someone shooting at a bad guy. When home owner uses a shotgun: bad guy goes away DOA.

Short barreled shotgun gets my vote everytime.

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What did Sgt. Reese arm himself with when the Terminator was hunting Sarah Connor?

That's right - a short barrel 12 gauge. Concealed under a bad ass trench coat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom