Home defense rifle guys: what size magazine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
74F5AF93-B5B1-4536-884E-B8E13DEB941B.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I have two homes, one stationary and the other mobile. I've had to consider all options. At the permanent residence, I keep a pistol at the bedside to give me time to get to the rifle under the bed. With no neighbors out here in the country, with just the wife and I, lead can fly in all directions without fear of penetrating a wall and endangering a neighbor.
On the other hand in the RV neighbors are close by and the walls are thin so one has to think of what is going to happen if a miss occurs and a round leaves the RV. I'm sure the intruder doesn't care, but I do.
With that in mind, in the RV I keep a 17 round M&P pistol in the "mighty" 9mm at the bedside, and in the closet, right next to the bed is a Quarter Circle 10 lower with a Taccom upper PCC once again in the "mighty" 9mm parabellum with a 31 round glock mag. (parabellum sounds real "mighty" don't you think?)
The first five in both are penetrating frangible bullets that pretty much fragment after hitting a hard surface while penetrating soft tissue. I've done a little testing with them. Once they hit a 3/4" sheet of plywood, there isn't much left of the round. Shot into a 3" stack of wet cardboard, they went completely through.
After the 5 rounds of penetrating frangible bullets there is a stack of Hornady Critical Defense rounds to back it up.
Probably not the ultimate self defense round, but inside the confines of an RV with neighbors at close distances, it's what I chose.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 60 round Surefire mag loaded with 62 grain penetrators. All bedrooms upstairs with only one way up with an alarm and 3 dogs, so I will be shooting down, most likely, therefore over penetration isn’t as much a concern.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30 in the AR, 8 in the Winchester 94, 17 in the Henry 22, 17 in the remington 22, 5 in the mossy 12g, 6 in the raging bull .44 mag, 19 in the XDM and 8 in the 1911...oh and 18 in the Hi-Power (no not Hi-Point lol)

Latest posts

Top Bottom