Home Depot fights shoplifters with required activation of power tools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.zerohedge.com/technolog...plifters-power-tools-require-store-activation
1628041533470.png

I kind of like it, but I wouldn't trust it until I proved the tool worked before leaving the store.

Do you realize the logistics involved here? First of all the technology has to be currently available. Then the retailers have to incorporate the device into their tools. The technology has to be reliable and easy to implement by non trained personell. The last hurdle is Home Depot's IT department has to be on board and do the installs on the test market stores then train subcontractors to roll it out.

Like it or not it is the world we live in.

The article even mentions San Fransisco's felony theft limit is $1K and retailers are leaving the city in droves.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The article even mentions San Francisco's felony theft limit is $1K and retailers are leaving the city in droves."

I would price all items at $1,000 over their cost and give the customers a $1,000 payment credit when they purchased and paid for them. Stealing them would be a felony then.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The article even mentions San Francisco's felony theft limit is $1K and retailers are leaving the city in droves."

I would price all items at $1,000 over their cost and give the customers a $1,000 payment credit when they purchased and paid for them. Stealing them would be a felony then.
Good idea.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

And reduced down to a misdemeanor by the yellow belly DA and given a talking to by the Judge before being set free.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in the Home Depot on NW HWY, between Rockwell and Council, a couple weeks ago. I was at the cashier station in the Garden Center when I heard a bunch of hollering and excitement. As I turned around a guy pushing an orange Home Depot shopping buggy was pushing that thing hard and fast and going through the fence/gate. The buggy was full of Dewalt brand power tools and I think I saw some others in there too. The cashier was hollering for him to stop. There was another lady, Home Depot employee, just outside the fence/gate watering plants. As the thief ran by here she turned her water hose on him and soaked him pretty good. A couple of male customers took off after the thief, chased him to the getaway car and did get a tag number. Whoever was driving the getaway car dang near ran over some people in the parking lot.

If I'd had a second or two warning I'd like to think I'd rammed my shopping buggy into the son of a *****.

Same thing happened last year, I was walking into the Academy Sporting Good at NW HWY/63rd St when a young man was outrunning store employees/security. It happened so fast I barely saw it happening, but I could have reached out and touched the thief. As soon as the thief was out the door then the Academy people stopped. They told me it was against store policy to go out the doors after a thief. Same thing, If I'd had a second or two notice I'd have rammed my shopping buggy right into the son of a *****.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somewhere along the way, the public got misinformed into thinking that big companies just "write off" theft and vandalism. Even if the insurance company is paying for each loss, the premiums go up in response right? And then that additional cost just gets passed onto each customer in the store?

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somewhere along the way, the public got misinformed into thinking that big companies just "write off" theft and vandalism. Even if the insurance company is paying for each loss, the premiums go up in response right? And then that additional cost just gets passed onto each customer in the store?

It is easy to understand write-offs.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked at Home Depot in Moore about a year ago. We had a meeting once about theft and I made clear to the other employees that their life was not worth a few hundred dollars' worth of stuff. Never get between a thief and the door.
At the macro level, something needs to change. Maybe this is the answer.
At the personal, employee level, never get between a thief and the door. Record the vehicle and person and report it, that's it.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the early 70's I worked in a Roses department store in Spartanburg , SC. Just before I started there one of the managers shot a shoplifter. I don't know any details other than a herd of company lawyer barely kept the manager from going to jail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom