Home Depot making military discount harder to use (for our protection)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You nailed it. I enlisted at the tail end of the war in Vietnam. Came home from Basic & my tech school to see my mom and was walking to the Winchell's donut shop where she was working in my slick-sleeve dress blues. Got spat at and called a baby killer. Spitter was in a car passing by, but missed me. Closest I ever got to Vietnam was the water off of Santa Catalina Island where I went fishing a couple of year before I enlisted. When I went to Desert Shield/Desert Storm nearly 20 years later, I was astonished at the support we were getting. It still creeps me out a little bit to be thanked for my service, and I've been retired for as long as I was in the Air Force, now. I'll take my discounts where I can get them. Senior or Military. Heck, I'm going to school to learn to be a machinist, and that's because of a tuition waiver because I was at Desert Storm. That saved me $1800. A 10% discount for military service about covers the sales tax. I'll take it, when I can get it. I don't figure I'm owed it, but I pick up pennies when I find them, too. I remember when a penny was serious money, and there have been times in my life when a small handful of change was the difference between being ok and seriously hungry.

Bill
I agree. I was involved in frequent wind, the fall of saigon. Ran refugees in an lcm-8. Tail end of vietnam. Iced down beer in the ammo can. Did not wade rice patties.

They told us at boot camp not to wear our uniforms on liberty beyond the required uniformed first liberty as people out there hated us. We got called names, a soda slung at us. I did 12 years.

There was no such thing as veterans discounts, “thank you for your service”, or guys wearing veterans hats.

Nobody owes me a discount, I do not expect it. I joined and would do it again. I WILL damn sure take it if offered and appreciate it. I aporeciate the 100% the va gives me, the no sales, property taxes and other Freebies OK gives me.

I also appreciate the attitude toward us at this point at least in red states.

We older veterans tend to look at these things differently as many of us saw the bad side and this is our late welcome home.

Also, the way I see it is that somebody somewhere decided veterans, and maybe other groups, would pay 10% less. They take this into consideration, they are not losing anything. That’s my price, I just have to show a code. But it’s predetermined before I even go in the store that I will pay 90.00 on a 100.00 item. If I don’t pay that price it’s on me. It’s not a temporary thing.

I can refuse that, anybody can it’s their money, but paying 100.00 instead of 99.00 means tipping them 11.11%. Lowes and home depot ( or anywhere with the offer) thanks you very much.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
UPDATE

I just tried my discount online. It did not automatically apply to my order of building materials over $80.

I declined the purchase and read the FAQ about the discount:

How do I use my military discount?
To use online, log in to your Home Depot account on HomeDepot.com, and the Military Discount will be automatically applied to eligible items during checkout. To use in store, go to your Home Depot account on our mobile app and navigate to the Military Discount page. Scan the QR code during your transaction, and the discount will be applied to eligible items during checkout. The Home Depot Military Discount can only be used on eligible purchases within the $400 maximum annual discount.

What times are excluded from the discount?

What items are excluded from The Home Depot Military Discount?
The Home Depot Military Discount cannot be applied to select items, services and fees, including, but not limited to, some commodity products (including lumber, wire, building materials), value priced merchandise, appliances, tool rental fees, labor items, gift cards and services including freight and delivery.

They were losing their ass!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I "enrolled" for the HD discount because we were planning on buying a workbench/tool cabinet for our youngest son for his Christmas present. The hardest part of the process was getting a pdf file or jpg file of my DD-214 onto my phone to submit as evidence of being a veteran.

I figure it was worth the effort as we saved just over $60 on that one purchase.

SNAKE PLISSKEN

"The name is Plissken"
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lowes is the only game in town where I'm from but they treat veterans pretty good. We got our own parking spots right up front and I just showed them a pic of my dd-214 and my DL and now I'm in their system, just give them a telephone number and instant 10% discount. I don't have the veterans DL because I travel abroad and some places it's not a good idea to have evidence that you served for the US military. I argue that point everytime I go to a gunshow and they want proof of my service.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lowes is the only game in town where I'm from but they treat veterans pretty good. We got our own parking spots right up front and I just showed them a pic of my dd-214 and my DL and now I'm in their system, just give them a telephone number and instant 10% discount. I don't have the veterans DL because I travel abroad and some places it's not a good idea to have evidence that you served for the US military. I argue that point everytime I go to a gunshow and they want proof of my service.
I am boycotting them because I'm a racist by just pulling into their parking lot. They teach CRT.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rage against the machine. I shop small biz when ever possible, ace or the local lumber. The little outfits need our help and without it they perish too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom