Home Depot making military discount harder to use (for our protection)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Not necesarrily. I didnt serve and use it, although I am in public safety, so do fall under first responder for most categories. I use it as we take care of my wife's disabled veteran grandfather, and most of the things I get, get used at or on his house. He won't be able to probably figure out the app and qr codes, but everthing I can save helps him ultimately. Right now, we are fixing his place up to sell, and I am getting a quote to add a second story to my house so my teeanage son can move in up there, and my wifes grandad, his greatgrandfather, can move into his room as he can no longer realistically care for himself. My father in law passed away suddenly 4 years ago at the age of 56, so we've stepped up to do what we can.
You for real dude?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
So I should drag the 84 year old amputee to HD, make him walk the aisles with me, and buy the stuff for his house to save tax, so I can do the work for him? Got it, I'm the douche. Its the only time I use a veterans discount, but I guess if I am a douche, I should go full send and see if I can get some free meals etc. Funny thing is, most of my friends are vets, and offer me their discount all the time, and I pass on it. Thanks for enlightening me. I'll start taking them up on it.
Now your vet friends offer you their discount? I don't believe that one whit and if they do, they're losers.

I still can't fathom HD giving you a Mil discount with someone else's ****, and yes, you should be dragging him to HD to pay when you check out or make appropriate arrangements with the store.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grudgingly downloaded the app. I got verified online first. Signed in on my phone, went to Mil Discount.

It looks like you just open the app and scan the code in store. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle. For online purchases it's automatic when you sign into your account.

So...assuming you know what you need from HD. Order online at home, get discount, pick up in store.

Good idea. This is what I'll do for my wifes grandfather from now on since I handle most stuff for him. Anything not for his house, I can get the discount on my procard, and, but that only get used for the rentals/LLC to keep everything separated for tax purposes. I guess we could just quit deed the house to the llc, and start using the procard and take an even bigger loss providing the llc with a bigger tax break. I mean, I get a 10% break on things he would be buying himself if he could, I am just doing it for him, and covering the cost and labor for him since he is on a fixed income, so he can spend his money on more important things like his meds. I do pay his cell phone bill, gas, have his meals and food delivered, take him to all my sons events since they are best friends and he doesnt like missing out on that stuff. I'll step it up in the future so he doesnt think a douche is raising his great grandson, since his son isnt around to help with these things. I do not use the discount for anything other than things for him/his house. I handle all his yard work etc. I really dont think 10% on the tomato plants for his window garden or air filters and light bulbs for his house is over the line.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get my 10% off at Lowes. When I got my Lowes card HD didn't offer the discount for regular veterans, just active and retired, so I skipped them. Lowes usually asks for photo ID now unless you go to the self checkout.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's douchebags who never served and claiming every military discount they can kind of problem.
Exactly what I was thinking. The cash register can also be hooking up their friends saying they saw VA proof. I’ve seen people working at the registers ask people if they were veterans who I knew weren’t and said person would say yes and get the discount. Seems this is just a way to cut down on BS fraud.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well shot i have 3 strikes going against me ,1 dont have a HD locally and dont have a clue where the closest one is, 2 dont have a smart phone to show how stupid i really am, 3 not anything military ex or otherwise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom