Home Depot making military discount harder to use (for our protection)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6 pages to complain about how Home Depot is simply using an APP instead of IDs to give Veterans the same 10% discount in order to prevent non-military from fraudulently claiming said discount?

Dang, some people will complain about anything, lol
most people don't want apps on their phones. Easier to show ID, instead of launching an app for some people. To mitigate fraudsters all they have to do is ask for ID, or register like you do at Lowes with phone number.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with a veteran taking advantage of a company's military discount, it's just not my thing. A few months ago when I bought a generator, I used it at HD but I don't use it for every day purchases and never seek it out at other companies.

I get my 50% every month; that was the deal, and that's all I expect.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
6 pages to complain about how Home Depot is simply using an APP instead of IDs to give Veterans the same 10% discount in order to prevent non-military from fraudulently claiming said discount?

Dang, some people will complain about anything, lol
Simply using an app? An app you have to pull up for every purchase you want the discount on. Which should be every one. But they are counting on you deciding it is not worth the trouble now. What about the folks that don't carry cell phones when they shop? What about the ones that have their passwords written down elsewhere?
It's pure genius, if you are HD.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
most people don't want apps on their phones. Easier to show ID, instead of launching an app for some people. To mitigate fraudsters all they have to do is ask for ID, or register like you do at Lowes with phone number.

Simply using an app? An app you have to pull up for every purchase you want the discount on. Which should be every one. But they are counting on you deciding it is not worth the trouble now. What about the folks that don't carry cell phones when they shop? What about the ones that have their passwords written down elsewhere?

Again, they're trying to give a discount to Veterans without allowing flagrant fraud (Fake or others cards, cashiers hitting discount button, etc). How are people whining about a Company trying to mitigate loss while giving Veterans discounts? Holy Crap.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If HD wants to hope people don't use the discount, all they would have to do is not offer the discount. That would pretty much prevent them.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course they're still making money...every time they sell something. That's the point of having a business. I suppose every company owner has reasons for doing it. Wrapping themselves in the flag seems to work these days. Just ask the guys at BRCC. They've somehow made a success out of selling overpriced, mediocre coffee because they make cool videos of 'operator' stuff.

I don't know how old you are, but I can guarantee you vets have it better today than they did in the last half of the 60s and most of the 70s in terms of public support. Even most people on the left pretend to respect vets these days. You don't have to like it...I don't have to like it.
You nailed it. I enlisted at the tail end of the war in Vietnam. Came home from Basic & my tech school to see my mom and was walking to the Winchell's donut shop where she was working in my slick-sleeve dress blues. Got spat at and called a baby killer. Spitter was in a car passing by, but missed me. Closest I ever got to Vietnam was the water off of Santa Catalina Island where I went fishing a couple of year before I enlisted. When I went to Desert Shield/Desert Storm nearly 20 years later, I was astonished at the support we were getting. It still creeps me out a little bit to be thanked for my service, and I've been retired for as long as I was in the Air Force, now. I'll take my discounts where I can get them. Senior or Military. Heck, I'm going to school to learn to be a machinist, and that's because of a tuition waiver because I was at Desert Storm. That saved me $1800. A 10% discount for military service about covers the sales tax. I'll take it, when I can get it. I don't figure I'm owed it, but I pick up pennies when I find them, too. I remember when a penny was serious money, and there have been times in my life when a small handful of change was the difference between being ok and seriously hungry.

Bill

Reaction score
posting for info if anyone

I just signed up. It used sheerid to verify so it does verify. It only asks name, date of birth and discharge month/year. Sheerid verifies it.

Spouses can sign up, other family members cannot. My wife gets verfied by sheerid, may be because she is in Deers. She has an id because I am 100% va disabled.

It said you cannot take a screenshot of the code to show as it might not work. It changes intermittently.

In some ways this is better (for me). I can order online with the discount AND enter in my tax exempt number (Disabled veteran, not pro) and get both. I applied online for the code and got it immediately. Lowes you cannot do both online for delivery.

Home depot excludes some items like makor appliances from the discount. Lowes does not.

Attachments

• 14639F02-CD9D-409A-A18B-0B347778037D.jpeg
    14639F02-CD9D-409A-A18B-0B347778037D.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 23
  • E5CD47B3-164F-4097-90C5-F1A542CBAA99.jpeg
    E5CD47B3-164F-4097-90C5-F1A542CBAA99.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Top Bottom