Home made steel target stands.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know right now that I need to do something to keep the posts upright, they tend to lean unless its balanced good. Don't know if a bolt in the top to tighten againt the sticks would work well or not.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know right now that I need to do something to keep the posts upright, they tend to lean unless its balanced good. Don't know if a bolt in the top to tighten againt the sticks would work well or not.

It will work for a little while but will eventually dig thru the wood and either be ineffective, or split your stick. What might work better is to make a metal shim you can poke down in there to stop the wobble/leaning and screw into that ...

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It will work for a little while but will eventually dig thru the wood and either be ineffective, or split your stick. What might work better is to make a metal shim you can poke down in there to stop the wobble/leaning and screw into that ...

I pretty much count the sticks as expendable items, especially with the people I shoot with (kennedy, and other friends), lol. I thought about the shims idea, but it's just one more thing to have to remember to take, and not lose. Maybe welding a washer on the inside to increase surface area might keep it from digging in so much, thinking kind of like the screw in a C-clamp. If I could find a bolt head like a wing nut, that would be nice too.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Driller- Very nice, and efficient use of scrap. Sweet feedback for pistol shooting.

On the cheap and simple, 4 boogered up T posts can be pounded into the ground and one across the top (Visualize a swingset), then tied together with fence or hot wire. Targets- Test failure welding gas cylinders cut in half or 1/3s. Hang targets from scrap chain. Pretty much free, other than the tools and time.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pretty much count the sticks as expendable items, especially with the people I shoot with (kennedy, and other friends), lol. I thought about the shims idea, but it's just one more thing to have to remember to take, and not lose. Maybe welding a washer on the inside to increase surface area might keep it from digging in so much, thinking kind of like the screw in a C-clamp. If I could find a bolt head like a wing nut, that would be nice too.

Lol, I hear ya. I've killed a stick or two in my time ... :P

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a photo of about a third of our pistol range. Just set a few of them up and are still working on the berms, paper target hangers and are building a new set of hinged targets like Hickok45 uses, the one that has the five squares on top and five rounds underneath, we have figured out on the hinged ones we build to use 1/2 gas pipe and then sleeve over it with 3/4, and across the front of the hinged area to install a 2x4, to keep the miss rounds from hitting the 3/4 hinge and dinging them up, all the other is just plain ole 1/2, 3/8 and thinner steel we pick up, when they get beat up, we just replace them. They last quite a long time, the spinners are from a guy on Arms List, they are fun targets, the grandkids love em and they are cheap.

We are changing a few out at a time with AR500, but as long as they are hung loose and can swivel, swing etc, the plain ole steel will last quite awhile, if you keep the hog leg calibers off of it. LOL! We mostly shoot 9mm.

Those look like painted ol scrap condensor coils on the right...???

jk .. nice setup, bet its fun

Latest posts

Top Bottom