Home made Weed Burner.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been wanting to buy one of these and try torching some weeds in the yard.
As you all know I am a collector of stuff and thought how hard can it be to just build one with some junk I have laying around.

Not hard at all.

1 Broken Weedeater brand curved shaft weed eater.

Remove shaft and pull the gust from it and weld an old can to the end.
I used an oven cleaner can that I just emptied on my cylinder heads to clean them.

I cut the bottom out and punched a hole in the top and rinsed it out before welding it to the shaft.

I then had some 1/4" angle iron and hose clamped it to the shaft at the other end to mount the propane orifice.

The orifice is a mig welding tip .035" and the adapter from the mig welder to screw it into .
I had just bought a new adapter and some new tips today so this came in handy.

I soldered it into copper tubing that I also hose clamped to the angle iron.

Now the reason for clamping and not welding is so I can adjust how far the .035" nozzle /tip is from the entrance of the curved hollow shaft.

This will regulate the flame a bit as it will allow more or less air to enter the stream. Simple way to adjust.
Once you adjust it to your liking you will not need to adjust it anymore.

Now propane bottle and length of hose and the regulator was needed.
I had all that and the regulator and hose was kind of junk as the hose had got too close to a fire at one time and was melted a bit.
Good thing I do not throw stuff away.

Now some pictures.
360 fire starter 002.JPG
360 fire starter 003.JPG
360 fire starter 004.JPG
360 fire starter 005.JPG

Yes it works.

Glad I did not have to buy one.
I hate buying things.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice job! I hope you have better luck than I did. I bought one from the local hardware store and it works fine, it will burn the weeds and anything else it gets close to, But the dang weeds seem to come back with a vengeance and some friends!

Latest posts

Top Bottom