Home Ownership, done right

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have thought about this, many a night. Drawn out plans and thought of changes.

My plan is to have a metal building, something along the lines of 40' x 80'x 12', looking like a 3 car garage and shop. Inside would heavy, closed cell foam insulation. Once completed, the house would be constructed inside the shop.
The house is 40' x 40' x 8', fiberglass insulated walls. Water and electrical will be low in the walls.

2 cellars will be dug, 12' x 12' each, garage slab poured on top. 1 will be a cellar. The other, with vault door, gun / reloading room.
I know a fellow in El Reno that has a large metal frame home with a full sized basketball court inside along with a double ended double car garage that could hold 10 cars. The residence is an upper and a lower and is about 4K square feet. Great home compound the guy has.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am almost done with my build. The last two homes I designed myself and as much as you try you always find things you wish you had done different. Here is what I did on this one:

1) No fill dirt - I selected the terrain that was most advantageous to just cut out trees and selectively place home.
2) 24" x 36" footing ( 150 yards) with 1/2 rebar under stem and spread footing throughout slab. It better not settle.
3) I used sleeved Uponor PEX A. Each connection is a solid straight run with no connections or shut-offs except for the mechanical rooms. If I ever have a leak I can shut off that ball valve and hook on and pull a new run.
4) 2 x 6 exterior and interior framing with spray foam (even interior walls). I even used Prosoco under the bottom plates.
5) Walls and roof all Zip System, Zip taped every joint and zip sealed every nail hole and protrusion.
6) I almost went with standing seem roof but I made my house a 3/12 pitch. We ended up using commercial ice & water shield with the adhesive that replaced tar paper under class 4 shingles.
7) Each side of the house has wall mounted true variable Daiken units and I put a mini split in the garage.
8) I used Auqor outdoor faucets to avoid frozen pipes.
9) I had Cox set a pedestal in my backyard so I could have a node close by. I ran Cat 6 throughout for security cameras and all my access points are wired.
10) Generac auto fails over and is gas Fed.

I did several other things that are off the wall. I can tell you appraisers could care less about any of the above so you will not recoup your money. This will be my last home so I wanted to make sure I don't have any problems in my life time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom