Home Propane Tank Mount/Base?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers. To clarify a couple things. I didn't know there was theft problem with propane tanks but if I take a minute to think about it, it definately seems realistic. I see so many driving down the rural highways. Luckily, our home sits several hundred yards off the Hwy and there is a bit of a "berm" along the front of the property. It is difficult or impossible to see the tank from the road. Also have gates on the entrance to make it obvious to neighbors if a strange vehicle is taking down gates to get in. Not to mention, all surrounding neighbors seem to keep an eye on each others properties. It's possible it could get stolen but not high on my list of concerns. Dogs, guns and someone almost always on the property that's armed 24/7.

As for the mounting/base. It's not so much to keep it in it's place during a 'nado or whatnot but it will keep it more secure and stable with the RR ties bolted to the feet and since there is a very slight grade where it sits the ties will keep it from any potential flop over. It will also keep the tank off the ground. Are the ties necessary, not really but make me more comfortable to have them installed to the tanks feet.

I was told by WE Allford Propane that it needs to be 25' from the home and the Generac needs to be 10' from the tank 5' from any livable structure. Since this 1000 gallon tank will hold 800 gallons of propane my calculations show I should get nearly 30 days of Generac runtime. I also did get the secondary hose to refill my BBQ tanks. Pretty excited about that.

Tank location on the small slope and distance from house.
Propane Tank.jpg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep... I just ran my new propane line today as a matter of fact. I now have a shiny new gas kitchen stove instead of that blasted electric range. Also hooked up the gas fireplace. I can now heat and cook if the power goes out.

As a bonus removing the electric range freed up space on my panel for my generator switch. I'll start on that next.

We can be off-grid capable as soon as I get the generator switch installed. Looking forward to having that redundant capability.

View attachment 304818
Alla that fancy countertop and new fangled stove set ya back so much ya couldn't afford to paint the backsplash.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, they don't need power to send gas thru the line. It lights just fine without electricity.

Some do require some kind of spark to light the gas coming through the line or to have a constantly burning pilot, which is not generally on newer range top burners. If the spark is not provided by some kind of battery, or by a manually turned knob to create the spark, the gas won't get lit. I guess to test it, you need to unplug the range and see if you can still light the burners.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like i said some do and some dont my grandparents had one that wouldnt, it has a sensor at the gas valve that will shut the gas off when there is no electricity, it took us awhile to figure it out and had to get rid of it and get a different one cause they was constantly losing power for short periods of time where they lived and it always seemed like it was when my grandmother was trying to cook but then she was always cooking something thru out the day. I think she spent the majority of her day over the stove but she enjoyed cooking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom