Home Propane Tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All propane tam nks including home tanks, and even small tanks for the BBQ, have to be inspected on a regular bases, I'm not sure what that is, but would guess every 4 or 5 years. The last inspection date should be stamped on the tank. I would find this date and have it inspected if needed before doing anything else. You local propane supplier will likely do these inspections.

Inspection dates are not stamped on home propane tanks...recerts are only done on DOT tanks. Leak checks need to be done on any "out of gas" situation...including shutting off the supply valve. Aside from a routine system check and general maintenance, nothing needs to be done to recertify a home tank.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is a rental...it was made in 1968. One of the regulators had a leak a few months ago which the company replaced and actually switched from a two regulator setup (one on tank, one on house) to a single setup so it removed the one on the house.

I never thought to look at how old it was but this thread got me curious and now I know....it's as old as Hot Wheels!

younggundavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow.. lots of Info.. some sorta correct or just lacking additional info, but the guy who suggested you call your local propane dealer is really your best suggestion. However, if you choose not to, here is some extra info. Someone above says regulators have to be changed out every few years. this is correct. The state law and branch that issues licensing to be a propane dealer has established 10 years as the time frame for changing out regulators. No regulator is to be older than ten years old and still be in use. They are around 30.00$ give or take. Second... the Data plate or metal plate with manufacturer's data affixed to the tank "MUST" stay on the tank. There is debate on how the law is written as to whether or not it be legible, but it must be on the tank. If that plate is taken off... legally, propane dealers are not allowed to fill or work on the tank. Here is the last of the .02 cents I'm putting in. Painting the tank and being aware to not damage or paint over the data plate, also, be aware that the paint must be an OIL based enamel paint. Water based paint will not prevent water from forming between the tank and paint due to the outside temp versus inside temp. ALSO.. be aware, they do make a water-based ENAMEL paint. I'm currently reworking a 74 model 250 gallon tank to add a wet kit to it and my propane dealer couldn't stress enough how vital the paint must be oil based. He said another local dealer dealt with water-based enamel on a couple of his tanks that he rented out after he painted and how they had rusted between the paint and tank, said his buddy learned the hard way. Now with all this said, how closely your local propane dealer follows the laws is anyone's guess. Oh.. and when filling a tank that's run empty or after working on a tank. They are supposed to do a home check on anything that has a pilot light or using propane, heater, stove, hot water tank, etc.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone above says regulators have to be changed out every few years. this is correct. The state law and branch that issues licensing to be a propane dealer has established 10 years as the time frame for changing out regulators. No regulator is to be older than ten years old and still be in use. They are around 30.00$ give or take.

Can you refer me to that law or regulation re: 10 year replacement of regulators? That's news to me and in 10 years of working for a propane company, delivering propane and servicing tanks I've never heard that. However, I've never worked for a propane company in Oklahoma. I was under the impression that Oklahoma had adopted the NFPA standards for propane safety.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The company that fills the tank will let you know if things or parts need replaced, it's their job and they don't want any liability.

Latest posts

Top Bottom