Home renovations advice and asbestos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hold on to your hats, pour yourself a coffee, and grab the reading glasses, this is gonna be a long one.
So, we’ve finally gotten into the girlfriends house. It’s been rented out for the past 6 years, and the same people for the past two. Well, they’ve trashed it, to the tune of 2-3k worth of repairs minimum. Sucks, but we’re completely renovating the place anyways. So I’ve got some questions for you guys who’ve been in these shoes.

many suggestions for real estate attorneys in the OKC area? Reasonably priced of course. We want to see what we can do to get some reimbursement for damages, the house has urine soaked through all carpets and pads, into the tile grout, multiple holes punched/kicked through walls, cabinetry and doors damaged, trim destroyed. It’s really a combination of vandalism and neglect really.

when renovating a house, what are you glad you did? Little additions and such? I intend on putting in some USB power outlet deals in, upgrading the lights inside and out, and putting some floor/shelves in the attic in addition to the normal renovation stuff. We’re going with the nicest carpet pads we can find, soft close cabinets, other nice touches. Any nice touches you guys especially like about your homes?

The ceilings throughout the house are popcorn ceilings. Considering that the house was built in 1972, I’m pretty confident the ceiling texture is asbestos. I’m getting a professional out to test it for sure though, and to give me a quote on abatement. However, everywhere I have read says to expect $5-10 per square foot for abatement. Definitely cannot afford that, considering we’re looking at 1900ish sqft of ceiling to abate. Looked into it some, with proper procedures and ppe it appears I could do it myself. Found some documents online from gov sources/public health sources explaining the entire process. Has anyone done this? How bad of an idea is this?

For the record, I do have an active listing in the everything else section of the classifieds, selling things like the counters, cabinets, and toilets from the house. Giving some stuff away too, and am adding to the list as I go. Everything is OBO, so make me an offer if you need anything you want.
People that have no skin in the property rarely ever take good care of it. That's what damage and rent deposits are for. Often, requiring those as LARGE deposits will keep the lower riffraff out as they can't make the deposits. Take move in pics with the new renters in attendance with both parties signing and dating pics. If the renter doesn't want to do this, refuse to rent to them. Have this stipulation in the rental agreement. Have realized that paying a good property management company to handle tenant finding/vetting, rent collection, service issues, deposit retention, condition arbitration, etc. is a great deal. Money is a replenishable resource; heartbeats not......stress/conflict waste those heartbeats.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hold on to your hats, pour yourself a coffee, and grab the reading glasses, this is gonna be a long one.
So, we’ve finally gotten into the girlfriends house. It’s been rented out for the past 6 years, and the same people for the past two. Well, they’ve trashed it, to the tune of 2-3k worth of repairs minimum. Sucks, but we’re completely renovating the place anyways. So I’ve got some questions for you guys who’ve been in these shoes.

many suggestions for real estate attorneys in the OKC area? Reasonably priced of course. We want to see what we can do to get some reimbursement for damages, the house has urine soaked through all carpets and pads, into the tile grout, multiple holes punched/kicked through walls, cabinetry and doors damaged, trim destroyed. It’s really a combination of vandalism and neglect really.

when renovating a house, what are you glad you did? Little additions and such? I intend on putting in some USB power outlet deals in, upgrading the lights inside and out, and putting some floor/shelves in the attic in addition to the normal renovation stuff. We’re going with the nicest carpet pads we can find, soft close cabinets, other nice touches. Any nice touches you guys especially like about your homes?

The ceilings throughout the house are popcorn ceilings. Considering that the house was built in 1972, I’m pretty confident the ceiling texture is asbestos. I’m getting a professional out to test it for sure though, and to give me a quote on abatement. However, everywhere I have read says to expect $5-10 per square foot for abatement. Definitely cannot afford that, considering we’re looking at 1900ish sqft of ceiling to abate. Looked into it some, with proper procedures and ppe it appears I could do it myself. Found some documents online from gov sources/public health sources explaining the entire process. Has anyone done this? How bad of an idea is this?

For the record, I do have an active listing in the everything else section of the classifieds, selling things like the counters, cabinets, and toilets from the house. Giving some stuff away too, and am adding to the list as I go. Everything is OBO, so make me an offer if you need anything you want.
I ran asbestos abatement crews and also was the lab analyst for over 20 years, call me, I will answer your questions.
405-747-5725, Rusty

Latest posts

Top Bottom