Home security cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This morning my neighbors house was broken into.
He came home while the fukheads were still in the home. They escaped out the back and came into our yard. My GSD alerted me of their presence. I took photos of them and saw them ditch stolen goods. They took off and stole another neighbor's car-- which he had started to take his kids to school. He went inside to get the kids and the car was gone when he came out.

Anyhow, Police are involved and all that and no one was hurt.

We (several neighbors) checked for other signs of attempted entry and found that we all had pry marks on our deadbolts and door handles.
I will be installing more locks and securing windows, but am also thinking about cameras to identify the fukheads if they do get in.

I want something wireless if possible with good resolution. I am willing to pay 1k if I need to.

What are the good products these days?

Thank you in advance

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you plan on more than a couple of cameras I think I would use wired cameras.
You definitely want some kind of DVR capability to review video by time and date.

Storing your video in the cloud is best so you still have video evidence even if your camera and DVR is stolen.
Most of the camera manufacturers offer cloud storage for a monthly fee.

I'm cheap so I cooked up a homebrew system with one wired and one wireless camera.
Using Ispy freeware to process the video and save it to a disk folder synced with my Google drive account.

https://www.ispyconnect.com

They have a 64bit version too. :)

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wired all day, every day. Use POE cameras and a Windows machine. I run Milestone software. 3 and 4mp cameras should be your standard camera. Dahua's are good quality and about $100 each. That is above high def. I can walk you through all of it, including setting up your router to serve your video to your phone app. If you already have a computer, you can get set up with POE switch, Ethernet cable, 5 cameras, and software for less than $1000. This professional setup will blow away anything you get from ADT.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My reasoning for going wireless is for ease of installation and removal. It is highly likely that I will not be staying in the home I am currently in for over a year. therefore I will be installing, uninstalling, and reinstalling everything. I am totally unfamiliar with either system (wireless/wired). Wireless SEEMS easier. How much of a pain is it to install a wired system?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't think it was a pain at all. You need a fish tape, a buddy and attic access. You could just run it under the eve of you wanted but I went through the attic and straight down through the soffit. The difference with high megapixel is you odds of identification go way up. Also, the Milestone software is much more powerful for investigations into incidents, including the ability to use directed searches of the sub-motion metadata.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are some details about this morning's incident. Much bigger than we thought! We only knew of three individuals involved and one stolen car.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 8.16.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 8.16.55 PM.png
    317.8 KB · Views: 355

Latest posts

Top Bottom