Home security cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It does - until you remember that you're still going to have to power those "wireless" camera(s) some way - unless they're solar or you plan on changing batteries regularly that still means a wire.
The system he linked to uses CR123 batteries and says they last 3-4months

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The battery life MAY be 3-4 months if used on the factory tested settings of 10second recordings and some other features I'm too lazy to look up now. 10s is not that much time. Also the lag time on the arlo system seems pretty long.

Looking into wired now...

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with the system that is linked is that it seems to be a smart bridge, you buy the system and then you will have a monthly fee for storage. Internet goes down and so does the camera's since it's all stored on their servers. And I agree the camera's probably only record in short bursts to get kind of lifetime on the batteries.

If I was to do it I would build out a system, even if you use wired camera's you can pull them down and just leave the cabling in place. Cat 5e will run around 80 bucks for 1000ft so figure it's going to cost 30 or 40 bucks for the cable at the most and then you can market the house as wired for security camera's.

I prefer Free Open Source Software and iSpyConnect has always worked well for my little projects. Just remember that the higher the resolution and the more camera's you have the more power you need to process them. I would also suggest looking at a dual Xeon server for the computer if you go that route. Just have to pick up some drives to store the video on and OS, Probably find one ready to go minus OS for around 300 if you get a xeon in the 5600 series from ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-...-2-13ghz-QC-24gb-HW-Raid-Add-HD-/371579508377 something like this would work great and you can hot swap drives or do whatever. Add camera's and cables and it would work well at the highest resolutions and high frame rates. It would probably do well with up to 20 camera's so you could expand as you see fit.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with the system that is linked is that it seems to be a smart bridge, you buy the system and then you will have a monthly fee for storage. Internet goes down and so does the camera's since it's all stored on their servers. And I agree the camera's probably only record in short bursts to get kind of lifetime on the batteries.

If I was to do it I would build out a system, even if you use wired camera's you can pull them down and just leave the cabling in place. Cat 5e will run around 80 bucks for 1000ft so figure it's going to cost 30 or 40 bucks for the cable at the most and then you can market the house as wired for security camera's.

I prefer Free Open Source Software and iSpyConnect has always worked well for my little projects. Just remember that the higher the resolution and the more camera's you have the more power you need to process them. I would also suggest looking at a dual Xeon server for the computer if you go that route. Just have to pick up some drives to store the video on and OS, Probably find one ready to go minus OS for around 300 if you get a xeon in the 5600 series from ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-...-2-13ghz-QC-24gb-HW-Raid-Add-HD-/371579508377 something like this would work great and you can hot swap drives or do whatever. Add camera's and cables and it would work well at the highest resolutions and high frame rates. It would probably do well with up to 20 camera's so you could expand as you see fit.
I was using iSpy connect as well but then I upgraded to their service that stores video and allow you to view from your phone, etc. Well, it also recorded everything to their cloud. Since my internet sucked, so did my videos. Locally captured and recorded is the way to go. Sure, back up to a couple sources, including the cloud, but not as your only way. Also, iSpy was a resource hog compared to Milestone. I thought iSpy was okay until I used a real, professional system.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Camera's on that are only 3MP, they have the title and description all messed up.

If it will do what you need go for it but I would suggest amazon at the same price.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well spotted that the recording resolution is only 3MP
That was my daily reminder of my foolishness.

I ordered this system anyways.

Thank you all for your input.

Last edited:

Ipsilateral

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wired camera's are better overall. Look at NellySecurity for higher quality camera's. You will still need to either run wire your self or find someone to do it. It took me ~6 months to find a company that wasn't ungodly expensive. My first quote for 6 drops was $2700. I found a home theater/automation company that was <$600 and well done.

This past week I caught part of an attempted armed robbery across the street on camera and this is a nice neighborhood. Times are tough and they're likely going to get tougher.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160327_3131f2c1dc015f3a99b7cb94a9fae977.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom