Home security cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackbirdpilot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good thread.
My thoughts/recommendations:
Skip analog cams altogether. I still have a few running but they suck compared to Megapixel IP cams. They are dirt cheap but the resolution will likely not allow you to ID someone unless they walk right up to the cam and look into it.
HikVision cams are EXCELLENT.
Build your own NVR system vs buying packaged if you have any computer skill at all. You can use an old PC that has enough horsepower. Just install the NVR/camera management software of your choice on it and go.
You can expand as much as you have the computer horsepower to accommodate vs being locked into X number of channels.
POE is awesome. You have to buy a POE switch to power the (power over ethernet) cameras but its worth it since you only have to run a single cat5/6 cable to each cam.
BlueIris is EXCELLENT software and very inexpensive. You get constant updates for free. I ran zoneminder for years before moving to BI and I regret the time wasted with ZM.
I prefer wired cams. Buy bulk cable and an inexpensive tipper and make your own cables. Wireless is a good option for some cases were its virtually impossible to run a cable but as mentioned you still have to get power there somehow.
Nellys is also great. I have 2 or 3 cams from them. Great prices and its a local Tulsa company.
Another thing on the HikVision cams. They come with some amazing features built in and their own camera management software but I just run everything thru Blue Iris. Its very slick and easy to set up. I am not sure if the Hik software would manage my remaining analog cams or not.

I am currently running an old pc with an AMD quad core cpu that is around 2Ghz. It was a dual core and it would take a beating if I didnt turn down the camera settings. I bought a cheap quad core off ebay and now it runs really good with some idle cpu to handle any spikes where before it was 100% pegged most of the time. I currently have 3 MP IP cams and 3 analog. Point being you can make an effective NVR with old equipment.
I leave the monitor on my desk since I work from home a lot and have some old tablets in various parts of the house that I keep IP Cam View pulled up on so I can glance at the cams when I hear something or the dogs do their random barking thing.
I also recommend that you put your NVR and related equipment on a UPS so it doesnt crash everytime the power flickers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom