Home Security Systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, we got home from CA after visiting my folks for Thanksgiving. We left our two Boxers behind and my inlaws left them at our home at night and picked them up during the day. My father in law came and picked them up and played with them quite a bit to get away from all the chaos at his house. Anyways, this morning he noticed that someone had cut our chainlink fence that separates the property with the neighbors behind us. That neighbor is an older lady who seems to be gone for the weekend. Her property is fairly open to the street and where the fence was cut (wide enough for a person to get through) is about 50 yards up from the street and in thick brush where it couldn't be viewed by the street or the neighbors house. Nothing seems wrong with the house or no foreced entry. Our male boxer, Dax, is great with people he knows but has a short temper with some strangers. I have a feeling that the person who cut the fence made enough noise that it woke our dogs and when they went to investigate Dax lost his chit and scared them off. I wires the fence back together and then put a 1/4 pice of plywood wired to the fence over the patch too.

Obviousely we need to get a security system and some big flood lights to light up that area. Getting the lights ordered now. Please recommend a good security system. Want something that is monitored and has online access for us via our phones, etc. Had great luck with our Nest cameras back in CA but deciding if we want to layer our security that much on this rental house (drilling holes in new siding, walls, etc). What can you recommend with a good reliable security system? Thanks

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had two security systems, the first was Simpli Safe security system and Ring flood lights that were used in two homes with NO issues. When we moved to Tulsa, I decided to have a “professional” system installed by Brinks. The Brinks system cost me more for all of the accessories than what I paid for the SImpli Safe system, It cost $25 more per month for monitoring, and performs terribly IMHO.
As soon as my contract is up, I will be ripping and replacing all with a new Simpli Safe and Ring hybrid system.

Just my humble opinion from my real world experience

Good luck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go Wyze.
cheap 1080P cams that give a real-time alert to your phone and a 12 second clip to the cloud with zero subscription cost.
You can download the cloud clip or save the one stored in the app for 14 days.
What you download doesn’t disappear after 14 days.
the cams are cheap and have the features of the expensive models plus more for the initial price of buying them. Once bought and simply connected to the internet via WiFi your done.
They do offer a monitored service but with the real time alerts I see no reason for that.
We have a network of about 15 of those cameras all around the house inside and outside to cover everything.
Wyze even offers wireless that have to be recharged every couple of months or as we did, ordered the solar panels to keep them fully charged.
The version which must be plugged into a USB port is waterproof for outside. They offer a smart bulb and a smart bulb connector for porch lights so one can screw in the adaptor, connect the camera via usb, then screw the smart bulb on top of that.
Create a rule that when motion is detected, turn on the porch light and take pics with the cams.
For added security, our WiFi is connected to a UPS, so that if power is cut by a thief pulling the meter, or a power outage, our WiFi and cams are still active and recording.
They also have a mini SD card slot for onboard storage as a third method of retaining the videos.
Great product.
https://wyze.com/
Edit: you can also have two way conversation over them and create a rule that a siren will go off if motion is detected in the V-3 models.
There are also accessory lights for under $20 to attach so one can install a cam outside or in a confined space to turn on with a rule or manually. Another great feature.

Last edited:

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I second the Simplisafe route. Everything is cheap and easy to install yourself, and you get alerts on your phone. You can even just start with a couple of cameras ($90 each) and get free alerts on your phone without paying for monitoring at first. They monitor you for, iirc 9.95 or 14.95. You also get the freedom to put monitors on places you wouldn't normally install one, like your gun safe and doggy door.

I personally don't like Ring because Amazon has full access to your video and WILL turn it over to the government for any reason without your consent. Regardless of whether I think the video is fine for the government to have, I have problems with them sharing my stuff without permission.

Brinks is a ripoff and they WILL sue you for the next month's bill if you don't notify them in writing that you want to cancel when your contract is up. I'd bet they make 1/4 of their money on lawsuits and interest on judgments.

Last edited:

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, we got home from CA after visiting my folks for Thanksgiving. We left our two Boxers behind and my inlaws left them at our home at night and picked them up during the day. My father in law came and picked them up and played with them quite a bit to get away from all the chaos at his house. Anyways, this morning he noticed that someone had cut our chainlink fence that separates the property with the neighbors behind us. That neighbor is an older lady who seems to be gone for the weekend. Her property is fairly open to the street and where the fence was cut (wide enough for a person to get through) is about 50 yards up from the street and in thick brush where it couldn't be viewed by the street or the neighbors house. Nothing seems wrong with the house or no foreced entry. Our male boxer, Dax, is great with people he knows but has a short temper with some strangers. I have a feeling that the person who cut the fence made enough noise that it woke our dogs and when they went to investigate Dax lost his chit and scared them off. I wires the fence back together and then put a 1/4 pice of plywood wired to the fence over the patch too.

Obviousely we need to get a security system and some big flood lights to light up that area. Getting the lights ordered now. Please recommend a good security system. Want something that is monitored and has online access for us via our phones, etc. Had great luck with our Nest cameras back in CA but deciding if we want to layer our security that much on this rental house (drilling holes in new siding, walls, etc). What can you recommend with a good reliable security system? Thanks
I have an Alarm and camera system with Alert360 (Guardian Security Systems). They are out of Tulsa. 24/7 monitoring. My cameras are hard wired and I have an app that I can view at any time to check the cameras. They are attached to a dvr that records everything. I have been very happy with the service. I also have an app for the alarm system (the camera app is separate), and I can control the system and my thermostat. I pay $78 a month. After three years my price will go down to $59 a month as I will have the equipment paid off. They have always been very good at customer service and I really like the equipment. Plus it’s a local company.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The good part about Ring and Simplisafe is that they're both wireless and the entry sensors can be mounted with the supplied double-stick tape, so there are no screw holes or wires to run (IIRC, the supplied stuff is 3M Command Adhesive, so it'll come off without leaving residue or tearing up the wall). The Simplisafe system was installed in my house, so I used screws and can't comment on the long-term effectiveness of the adhesive, but the sensors are light, so it should be OK.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use Ring alarm system along with multiple ring cameras up around our place. It alerts you of any motion and has several different modes that you can customize for it, whether home or away. I just installed a new Ring Floodlight camera out front yesterday! The best part is that the whole alarm system is monitored live (break in, fire, even carbon monoxide sensors) 24/7 for only $100 a year. The outside ring cameras also give you the option to hear sound and even talk to the intruders if you wish, as well as sirens.

Last edited:

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go Wyze.
cheap 1080P cams that give a real-time alert to your phone and a 12 second clip to the cloud with zero subscription cost.
You can download the cloud clip or save the one stored in the app for 14 days.
What you download doesn’t disappear after 14 days.
the cams are cheap and have the features of the expensive models plus more for the initial price of buying them. Once bought and simply connected to the internet via WiFi your done.
They do offer a monitored service but with the real time alerts I see no reason for that.
We have a network of about 15 of those cameras all around the house inside and outside to cover everything.
Wyze even offers wireless that have to be recharged every couple of months or as we did, ordered the solar panels to keep them fully charged.
The version which must be plugged into a USB port is waterproof for outside. They offer a smart bulb and a smart bulb connector for porch lights so one can screw in the adaptor, connect the camera via usb, then screw the smart bulb on top of that.
Create a rule that when motion is detected, turn on the porch light and take pics with the cams.
For added security, our WiFi is connected to a UPS, so that if power is cut by a thief pulling the meter, or a power outage, our WiFi and cams are still active and recording.
They also have a mini SD card slot for onboard storage as a third method of retaining the videos.
Great product.
https://wyze.com/
Edit: you can also have two way conversation over them and create a rule that a siren will go off if motion is detected in the V-3 models.
There are also accessory lights for under $20 to attach so one can install a cam outside or in a confined space to turn on with a rule or manually. Another great feature.
Seems Wyze is a confab with the two big boys. Can't get away, no way, no how.
Bottom of their main page.

© 2021 Wyze Labs, Inc

Amazon, Alexa, Echo Spot and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Google, Inc., Google, Google Home, Google Home Mini, G logo, The Google Assistant built-in, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google, Inc. All rights reserved.

Latest posts

Top Bottom