Home Warranty Companies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here use a home warranty company? I ask because we have Old Republic who used to be pretty good. It seems that has changed though. Unfortunately we have had to call them several times recently. Yeah, wonderful start for the New Year. The first time was when our blower went out on on heater, the temperature outside was 16 degrees. I immediately called the contractor they assigned to fix our problem, the call went to voicemail that was never returned. After waiting a few hours to hear back from the contractor we called someone ourselves who responded within a couple hours and fixed the problem. Old Republics contractor finally called long after the problem was fixed and wanted to schedule for the following day, keep in mind the outside temperature when we called was 16 degrees with a high for the day of below freezing. I basically told him to pound sand. Problem number two came up when our garage door opener broke. Old Republics contractor scheduled the repair for a week after we reported the problem. Okay, it's only a garage door I'm not happy but I can deal with that one. Problem number three in another story. Our hot water heater died. Put in a ticket with Old Republic to report the problem and get a call back from their contractor shortly afterwards. They schedule us out for one week later. Needless to say that is unacceptable so we were left with fixing the problem ourselves which, when I was young, wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but I ain't young anymore.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've only used 2 home warranty companies and each time if something went wrong it either "was a maintenance item (water heater)" or it took weeks to get a man on the problem (ac system).
After talking to a few realtors it seems to be the norm. It's nothing more than a selling point to get buyers interested in your house, like used car warranties. Fake piece of mind. I'll never buy another warranty again unless I'm selling my place.

Glad you got the heater working though. 16 is too dang cold for oklahoma!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had 1 once. Was included in a house purchase. I don't remember the company, was 45 years ago.

First 6 months on house, water heater blew bottom out. MAINTENANCE ISSUE -NO COVERAGE. Dishwasher quit. OLD AGE & MAINTENANCE ISSUE - NO COVERAGE. A/C QUIT. Contractor said whole unit needed replacement. COMPRESSOR COVERED. Talked with contractor, he said the company was a rip off, was waiting on his contract to expire with them. We worked a deal, he billed them the compressor repair. But, I bought the whole unit cost, installed free. He said he made the same money either way.

I have not dealt with their scam since.
Take what the monthly gee is and put it in savings FOR HOME REPAIRS ONLY.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds as if the OP has broken the cardinal rule of talking about small financial windfalls in front of the major appliances. :yikes2: :bolt:
As I mentioned we used Old Republic in the past and they were okay. At the time we had several out of state rentals that, for obvious reasons, we couldn't just run over to and fix any problems that arose so we went with a home warranty company. Old Republic was recommended and always came through when something came up. That experience, coupled with the fact that I'm getting old and can't do all the stuff I used to do, is why we chose to use them again. Apparently, for whatever reason, they are no longer as reliable as they once were. Lesson learned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom