Home Warranty Companies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I thought that's what you meant. What's the problem exactly? Is it not working with the remote or is it the button on the wall, or is nothing getting it to raise? If it's a spring that's 45-60.00.
The door won't raise up. I think it's a problem with the track that it runs on since I'm seeing it bow under the weight of a door built for a two car garage.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The door won't raise up. I think it's a problem with the track that it runs on since I'm seeing it bow under the weight of a door built for a two car garage.
that means the motor's trying. I'd bet money it's the spring. Or you or a kid slid the lock closed on the door and forgot :homer:
I've never done that before. nope, not me!

If you pull the emergency cord can you easily lift the door or is it a heavy monster? If it's easy, it's not the spring. If it's hard, it is. Or the lock again. :)

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that means the motor's trying. I'd bet money it's the spring. Or you or a kid slid the lock closed on the door and forgot :homer:
I've never done that before. nope, not me!

If you pull the emergency cord can you easily lift the door or is it a heavy monster? If it's easy, it's not the spring. If it's hard, it is. Or the lock again. :)
Very heavy and no it's not locked. So you're thinking it's gonna be the spring?

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had Home shield and I had a hose bib strip out (it's about 50 years old and corroded out), but since it was "stripped out" it wasn't covered. My fault for using too much "force". So 4X$60 for AHS, + $100 deductible + $250 to have it fixed = about $600! Then the repair process caused a poorly done pipe in the wall to leak which we didn't notice for a few days. So now we have a damaged wall and messed up floor estimated repair about $3K and $1K deductible.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very heavy and no it's not locked. So you're thinking it's gonna be the spring?
Yup, I'd bet good money on it. As long as the emergency cord was pulled to "unlock" it from the chain, then it's the spring. It's a helper that makes the door light so you can lift it or the motor (they're usually only 1/2 horse) can lift it.

I'd order two new springs on scAmazon or Evilbay and slide 'em on. You can tighten them with a couple of screwdrivers, but you're better off spending the extra 20 bucks and getting those metal rods for tightening the spring.

It's not a tough job, though it'll take about an hour if I remember right. Here's an old jewish guy that talks you through the whole thing

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to be a contractor for old republic and American home shield , the problem is likely like me I had tons of work and the warranty companies paid about half what I charged self pays . who do you think I'm going to service first? finally dropped them ,didn't need their jobs

Latest posts

Top Bottom