Home Warranty Companies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh please don't tackle loaded garage door springs if you aren't familiar with doing it correctly.
Yeah, I know a guy who almost killed himself trying to do a garage door spring himself. I'm too damn old to mess with it, I'll leave it for someone who actually knows what he's doing.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh good grief. Some of you guys are overreacting more than my belt after a bigmac. Whereabouts are you Gadsden? I'll come by and take a peek at it if you want. If it's a spring I'll show you which one to order and put it in for you. If you're not around the City you can send me some pictures and I'll do what I can from here to diagnose it.
If you'd rather just wait on the warranty company that's fine too. No hard feelings.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, I'd bet good money on it. As long as the emergency cord was pulled to "unlock" it from the chain, then it's the spring. It's a helper that makes the door light so you can lift it or the motor (they're usually only 1/2 horse) can lift it.

I'd order two new springs on scAmazon or Evilbay and slide 'em on. You can tighten them with a couple of screwdrivers, but you're better off spending the extra 20 bucks and getting those metal rods for tightening the spring.

It's not a tough job, though it'll take about an hour if I remember right. Here's an old jewish guy that talks you through the whole thing

I did my springs a couple years ago; not nearly as bad as I thought. I ground down the ends on a couple short pieces of #5 rebar I had laying around to make my own spring winders. Worked like a charm!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, I'd bet good money on it. As long as the emergency cord was pulled to "unlock" it from the chain, then it's the spring. It's a helper that makes the door light so you can lift it or the motor (they're usually only 1/2 horse) can lift it.

I'd order two new springs on scAmazon or Evilbay and slide 'em on. You can tighten them with a couple of screwdrivers, but you're better off spending the extra 20 bucks and getting those metal rods for tightening the spring.

It's not a tough job, though it'll take about an hour if I remember right. Here's an old jewish guy that talks you through the whole thing

Call the garage door company! This ain't paint!

1641876689121.png

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone here use a home warranty company? I ask because we have Old Republic who used to be pretty good. It seems that has changed though. Unfortunately we have had to call them several times recently. Yeah, wonderful start for the New Year. The first time was when our blower went out on on heater, the temperature outside was 16 degrees. I immediately called the contractor they assigned to fix our problem, the call went to voicemail that was never returned. After waiting a few hours to hear back from the contractor we called someone ourselves who responded within a couple hours and fixed the problem. Old Republics contractor finally called long after the problem was fixed and wanted to schedule for the following day, keep in mind the outside temperature when we called was 16 degrees with a high for the day of below freezing. I basically told him to pound sand. Problem number two came up when our garage door opener broke. Old Republics contractor scheduled the repair for a week after we reported the problem. Okay, it's only a garage door I'm not happy but I can deal with that one. Problem number three in another story. Our hot water heater died. Put in a ticket with Old Republic to report the problem and get a call back from their contractor shortly afterwards. They schedule us out for one week later. Needless to say that is unacceptable so we were left with fixing the problem ourselves which, when I was young, wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but I ain't young anymore.
I had them but just recently dumped them, they screwed me on a hot water heater replacement and just two weeks ago my furnace went out and they wouldn't cover it, so I dumped them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom