homemade case lube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know anything about rice oil, but I can tell you I've had nothing but headaches with the hornady one shot. I use a small base sizer on 223 for my ARs and have gotten so many stuck it is not even funny. I've loaded over 10k pieces already and had to the tried and true " rolling hem on the lube pad with regular lube. Am I just an idiot and not using he spray lube correctly? Before you answer-- Be nice.

I think something else is wrong. I use one shot exclusively with my 223 rounds and RCBS small base dies. I have never had a stuck case in many thousands of rounds.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of my pistol rounds are loaded on carbide dies that require no lube.
I use Hornady one shot on thousands of rounds of .223, 30-06, .270, .243 WSSM, and others. I've never stuck a case on any of them.
I will get the occasional .223 that's tough to size, but it's always foreign stuff that is picked up from the range.

I always hear of others having issues with it, but I never have.

Put the brass in a loading block, liberally coat it and reload it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Hornady one shot on thousands of rounds of .223, 30-06, .270, .243 WSSM, and others. I've never stuck a case on any of them.
I will get the occasional .223 that's tough to size, but it's always foreign stuff that is picked up from the range.

Right on Dennis!

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a couple of stuck cases with One Shot and .243Win. I've since learned that spraying at a downward angle so some lube gets inside the case neck the problem went away. One Shot is supposedly non reactive with powder.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a couple of stuck cases with One Shot and .243Win. I've since learned that spraying at a downward angle so some lube gets inside the case neck the problem went away. One Shot is supposedly non reactive with powder.

That's my technique, and also recommended by Hornady to allow some into the case mouth. Having them standing in a loading block makes it easier.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the one shot and the imperial. I got 7oz of pure lanolin free. I asked my brother to get some from the health food store and he paid for it. He got some for his own use too. It is great for your hands and any leather.

I still need to make the lube. I have been lazy and need to get some good alcohol.

For how long the Imperial lasts it may be lower cost than home made.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I spray my pistol rounds with it even though I use carbide dies as well. It makes the press run smooth as butter. You can raise and lower the handle with one finger.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hope no one minds, but that’s what the search feature is for. So I’m gonna throw a lifeline to this thread, as it’s right up my alley in the learning stages.

I realize this will be mostly an opinion driven question, but that’s what I want, the hows, whats, and whens, of the lubing process.
I’ve found several applications of case lube. Some spray on individual cases, some spray on case lying down, some mention spraying only at a downward angle, some spray on a sponge and roll a handful on the sponge. Is there a “best” way or “preferred” method to application?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lay them on their side on a piece of wax paper with the mouth toward me, and spray toward them at about a 45 degree angle to try and get just a little in the case mouth. Then I roll them a half turn and spray them again on the other side. I don't get much resistance from the expander going into the case mouth, so I guess I'm getting enough in the neck.

I have never tried mixing case lube, I've just used commercial lubes, I think Hornady one-shot is what I'm using right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom