Homemade Scope mount 6.5 Swede

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep since I have 2 of these guns and can't seem to dial in the iron sights like a scope can
I figured I would try my hand at making a scope mount.
NO drilling on gun, No screw removing, No stock whittling, No bent bolt handle.

Yep that is correct all i needed to do was remove the rear sight and that spring steel blade under it that slides into a tight slot.
I took a Hillman 3 prong nut you use for wood working those with the spikes in 1/4 20 thread.
I had everything I need laying around here by the way.

Next up is a thick piece of steel I have some 1/4" angle iron and cut a section and whittled it down and drilled a hole into it
to make it fit the steel dowel that the front of the sight pivots on.

I whittled that Hillman 3 prong nut so it would slide into the slot very tight ..Yes i had to use a brass punch to seat it all the way back.
Goodentight.
I have not drilled and tapped the scope rail mount holes yet.
The rail is from a Savage Axis I cut it and it is raised so a portion of it will go right over the 1/4 20 sloted truss head machine screw.
I had to shorten the screw and will need to take some off the top of the head.
I drilled a hole in the steel plate to fit very snug over the 3 prong nut.

The steel plate is also stepped to fit snug into the Mauser base.

Tools used have been a small bench top drill press and an angle grinder and a file.
Hack saw and sawzall.
No mills or lathes.

I have high hopes and a Nikon 2.5-10 x40 that has a lot of eye relief.
I can be 7" behind the scope at 2.5 power so I can set the scope up just in front of the bolt handle and still get eye position if I choke up a little.

Drill and tap today.

scope mount mauser 001.JPG
scope mount mauser 002.JPG

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How are you going to keep it from pivoting on the single attachment point?
The pin in the front is one point of attachment and the distance between the area where the pin
go in is .434" so I made my steel plate mount fit that really snug it is actually .433"
I could have went tighter.

The rear 1/4 20 attachment point is rock solid.
So that is the second point and the factory Swedish Mauser mount if you look at the picture is stepped
as it goes to the rear.
I made my steel mounting plate to it sits tight in those stepped areas and is captured on the sides by the stepped up rear rails on the stock base.

NO movement at all once the screw is tight and really no movement even that without the screw.
Without the screw it fits together like a Lego but you must tap it a little to fully seat it.

The only flex I have is the scope rail and that is at the very back of it . I have a pic to show.

I feel once the scope and scope rings are mounted it will get stiffer.

One thing I noticed is after all my grinding and screw tightening I have a little upward tilt of the rail.
I can shim under the steel mounting plate and fix that.

I will do that before I mount the scope.
001.JPG

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not have a hand gun scope and do not plan on getting one.
Yea it does look like -40 or more.

My fault there as I ground too much off the base of the steel because I was trying to get it to run the same plane as the barrel but i did not stick a screw into it and snug it down when checking.

My bad.
Easy enough to add shim stock under it (bean can).

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cut the Picatinny rail off a couple lugs too short to allow the scope to come back another inch or so.
All good though.
The project is to see if it will stay put round after round.

It is mounted on a Rifle Moboost gave me and I have never shot this rifle.
Crown looks just as miffed up as the other one I have.

Next up is finding time to take it to the range.

I did pull the bolt and look down the bore at a roof top about 1,000 yards away and adjusted the scope to be on that target so I think It should be on paper at least.

002.JPG

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep since I have 2 of these guns and can't seem to dial in the iron sights like a scope can
I figured I would try my hand at making a scope mount.
NO drilling on gun, No screw removing, No stock whittling, No bent bolt handle.

Yep that is correct all i needed to do was remove the rear sight and that spring steel blade under it that slides into a tight slot.
I took a Hillman 3 prong nut you use for wood working those with the spikes in 1/4 20 thread.
I had everything I need laying around here by the way.

Next up is a thick piece of steel I have some 1/4" angle iron and cut a section and whittled it down and drilled a hole into it
to make it fit the steel dowel that the front of the sight pivots on.

I whittled that Hillman 3 prong nut so it would slide into the slot very tight ..Yes i had to use a brass punch to seat it all the way back.
Goodentight.
I have not drilled and tapped the scope rail mount holes yet.
The rail is from a Savage Axis I cut it and it is raised so a portion of it will go right over the 1/4 20 sloted truss head machine screw.
I had to shorten the screw and will need to take some off the top of the head.
I drilled a hole in the steel plate to fit very snug over the 3 prong nut.

The steel plate is also stepped to fit snug into the Mauser base.

Tools used have been a small bench top drill press and an angle grinder and a file.
Hack saw and sawzall.
No mills or lathes.

I have high hopes and a Nikon 2.5-10 x40 that has a lot of eye relief.
I can be 7" behind the scope at 2.5 power so I can set the scope up just in front of the bolt handle and still get eye position if I choke up a little.

Drill and tap today.

View attachment 297862View attachment 297863
Better get a patent on it

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice ammonite!
I thought someone would notice. :)

I had that sitting on the back porch for years and the cedar sitting on the porch.
Holds up the rifle well.

I got that in Little City when I hunted there years ago.
Millions of them out there.
Fossilized corral and I got something that looks like a leg bone.
There was one really big Ammonite my son found and it was about 15" diameter.

He tried to dig around it and get it out bet it flaked off and developed a crack.
He decided to just leave it there for a possible passer by to enjoy it in it's full form.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like this enough that I am whittling another mount out for the other 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser I got from @Hangfire

I may weld another steel plate to the top of this one to act as my base for scope rings or shorter scope ring bases.
I have the threaded nut wedged into the rifle sight mount and have the tombstone that pivots on the front pin roughed in.
001.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom