Hominy Lake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I went to Hominy Lake early this morning, and the ride there was far better than the fishing! We saw and counted 118 deer and 162 wild turkey!!! We saw all of game on a 10 to 12 mile stretch of road, about 15 to 20 minutes from the lake...

Once we got to the lake, we realized we needed a permit from the Hominy Police Department, so we secured that and went back to the lake, hoping to catch a mess of fish. We were fishing in my little 10 ft. Pelican Bass Raider boat, and fished around the whole lake! My wife caught a 3 pound channel cat and two one pound perch on a crank bait, then the action totally died. We saw several other guys in bass boats pounding the banks, but never saw anybody catch anything. It was almost a wasted trip, but seeing all those deer and turkeys definitely made it worth while!

We did stop on the edge of the road a couple of times, and called to the gobblers, and every one that we called to, gobbled back at us. My wife thought that was one of the coolest things she had ever seen! We saw far more long beards than what we did hens, and I was afraid my poor 'ol trigger finger was going to spasm out of control. Dang gone those were some pretty birds!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Still sounds like you salvaged a day out of it. Any day you can see that much wildlife is a good one

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a pretty lake. You should have been using some live perch around those rocks. The flatheads are in spawning mode.
The crappie are in post spawn and back to deep water.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was by myself, I would have fished for catfish, and thought about doing that since there were perch everywhere! Every cast with a crank bait, had a half dozen perch follow it back to the boat.

20180528_085230.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom