Honda discontinuing lawn mowers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Just so you know, if you buy a Northstar generator from Northern Tool with a “Honda” motor, it’s actually a proprietary motor for Northern Tool, and I know for a fact that carburetors won’t interchange. You are forced to get your “Honda” parts from NT. :censored:
I’ve had good luck with the Chinese copy carbs from eBay. Usually less than $14 with free shipping. The fuel inlet tube is a little different angle and I have to make a notch in the recoil starter cover. I’ve done a couple power washers and generators this way.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The decision to end lawn mower production is driven by market forces such as stricter environmental regulations, shifting customer preferences, and our focus on growing profitable products in our portfolio," the statement said.

There's your smoking gun right there...........
Hard to compete on price with the Walmart/Lowes/HomeDepot Chinese Economy models....

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The decision to end lawn mower production is driven by market forces such as stricter environmental regulations, shifting customer preferences, and our focus on growing profitable products in our portfolio," the statement said.

There's your smoking gun right there...........
Hard to compete on price with the Walmart/Lowes/HomeDepot Chinese Economy models....
this is a cop out, its more likely an emissions issue form the church of Climatology that they are tired of dealing with. I would always buy a Honda even at 2 to 3 X the chinesium.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 1992 Honda Garden Tractor 13 HP that runs like a champ and I had a Honda self propelled mower that my son. bought for me back in 1987 that I gave back to him still running and not using oil. Honda makes some of the best engines and I hope they continue because a lot of us have generators that are Honda powered.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Protip, find a Troy bilt or husqvarna with a Honda motor but a worn out chassis/deck. They can be found pretty cheap after the deck is trashed. Then go to a mower repair shop with a pile of parts in the back. Get a Honda chassis and mount the TB/Husky motor to it. Some are more involved than other like different sized shafts on the TB/husky motors which requires using the old pulley/blade adaptor and a slight belt change.
Some are as easy as a motor swap and fabbing up a new belt guard under the motor.

Funny you say that. I’ve got a Husqvarna mower with the Honda motor. I really love how easy the Honda engine is to start. I’m really tempted to put the Honda engine on an early 1980s Bolens mulching mower deck that I have. The Husqvarna deck is okay, but isn’t made like the old mowers that I used growing up.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 1992 Honda Garden Tractor 13 HP that runs like a champ and I had a Honda self propelled mower that my son. bought for me back in 1987 that I gave back to him still running and not using oil. Honda makes some of the best engines and I hope they continue because a lot of us have generators that are Honda powered.

Yes, the article mentions that they are discontinuing lawnmowers not their engines, etc.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I would have bought a bunch of Lawn Boy 2 stroke mowers back in the day.
I had one of those in the late '80s. I ran Amsoil 100:1 2 stroke synthetic oil in it from new and it never did quit. I thrashed that thing so hard! It didn't care at all. I finally bought a Honda HRX just because I wanted one and I was tired of waiting on the Lawn Boy to die. It never did. All I ever had to do to it was a spark plug every once in awhile, air filters, primer bulbs and had to replace the plastic governor thing on the carb a couple of times. Not bad for over 15 years of abuse. I had an alley before moving my fence and would let that get knee deep or worse. Never phased it.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom