Honda GX 670

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm having issues. I have a brand new engine that will not run on its own. However I can keep it going w/starting fluid. The fuel pump is working and getting fuel to the carb.

List of new parts
Engine
Exhaust
Carburetor
Fuel pump
Spark plugs
Fuel filter
Air filter

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it runs on starter fluid it’s getting ignition. It’s either not getting air, or not getting fuel. Carb maybe needs some adjusting, or you got hold of a bad new carb? I assume nothing is restricting air, sounds like it has to be the carb if you’re certain fuel is getting to it.

is it possible theres a protective cap or plug you overlooked before you installed a new part?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
^+1000 on the missed caps, also new fuel pump does not rule out a bad fuel pump . If it set for a while make sure fuel lines are clear as well. fuel will turn to shellac in the lines. Fuel shutoff could be bad as well. Generally a filter in the tank at the shutoff that can clog.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you guys. I drained the tank and put in New fuel. I can take off the line from the carb that is being fed from the pump and it pumps fuel at least to there.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I assuming correctly that you have the breather off and can see into the carburetor? If so (and I'm not a mechanic) it sounds like it HAS to be a problem with the carburetor. You said brand new engine, is it under warranty, or can you take it back where you bought it?

Does it try to run at all? Or you just turn it over, but it makes no attempt to start? Have you tried priming the carburetor and see if it will try to run?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You say the carburetor is new?
Many carbs on small engines today have a valve under the float bowl if it is that type of carb with the fuel bowl at the bottom of the carb.
There is a fuel shot off solenoid with a wire attached to it right under the fuel bowl.
I have seen those go bad.

They need voltage to the solenoid to pull in the plunger that is inside the fuel bowl.
Many times that plunger is corroded or stuck and if it is stuck it shuts off all fuel flow to the main jet.

I feel your getting fuel to the carb and possibly into the carb but if the main jet is plugged you will not get the fuel to flow into the engine.
Now if you loosen the fuel bowl and fuel comes out you know the jet is restricted.

Those electronic plungers or solenoids can be taken out and the plunger part snipped off or ground off so you will no longer have it plugging the passage.

Those stupid solenoids are as handy as GFI receptacles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom